Analysis of Comprehensibility and Influencing Factors of Healthcare Symbols
- 517 Downloads
With the tide of globalization getting ever higher and stronger, the need grows rapidly to travel aboard in order to obtain better health care. A reasonable and effective wayfinding system formed by graphical symbols becomes especially important for patients in a foreign hospital. The goal of this study is to evaluate the comprehensibility of 26 healthcare symbols according to the testing method specified in ISO 9186-1:2014, and analysis the possible influencing factors. 396 respondents were recruited and paid to participate in the test. All graphical symbol’s comprehensibility result and respondents’ demographic information were analyzed. The test results showed that when developing a new graphical symbol, designers should paid more attention to use different element for different graphical symbols. To explore statistically significant relationships between symbol comprehension and influencing factors, Pearson’s Chi-square tests, logistic regression analysis, and correspondence analysis were conducted. From the test result, 7 out of 26 healthcare graphical symbols have p-values smaller than the significance level 0.05, which show these symbols have significant statistical relationship with age.
KeywordsWayfinding system Graphical symbol Comprehensibility test
This research was supported by National Quality Infrastructure (NQI) Program (2016YFF0201700, 2016YFF0202806).
- 3.Zou, C.Y., Zhang, F., Hu, H.M.: Analysis on the influencing factors of the comprehensibility of graphical symbols. International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, pp. 715–721. Springer, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.ISO 17724:2003: Graphical symbols – Vocabulary. In: International Organization for Standardization (ISO). 01.080.10 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.ISO 9186-1:2014: Graphical symbols – test methods – part 1: method for testing comprehensibility. International Organization for Standardization (ISO). 01.080.10 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.ISO 7001:2007: Graphical symbols – public information symbols. International Organization for Standardization (ISO). 01.080.10 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.GB/T 10001 (All parts): Public information graphical symbols公共信息图形符号[S]. 2006–2014. Standardization Administration of the People’s Republic of China (SAC). 01.080.10Google Scholar