Flight Deck Optimization for a Future SESAR/NextGen Operating Environment
- 1.7k Downloads
Single European Sky ATM Research (SESAR) and Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) are ATM modernisation programs that are striving towards an ATM system that can provide greater capacity and efficiency whilst maintaining current level of safety and security. The current paper describes and compares the changes in flight deck operations that will occur in the envisioned future ATM environment. Subject matter expert views are gathered to evaluate potential human factors flight deck impacts. Both SESAR and NextGen describe flight deck operations defined by stricter separation parameters and greater delegation of flight trajectory conformance for the flight crew. Important human factor issues included ensuring clear communication of responsibility delegation to the flight crew and the impact of increased utilisation of real-time information (e.g. Meteorological (MET), traffic flows) on flight planning behaviour. Further SESAR and NextGen similarities and the associated human factor effects are discussed.
KeywordsSESAR NextGen Flight deck Human Factors
This project was co-funded by Innovate UK, the UK’s Innovation Agency, with support from the UK Aerospace Technology Institute.
- 1.Ulfbratt, E., McConville, J.: Comparison of the SESAR and NextGen concepts of operations. NCOIC Aviat. IPT 1, 22 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Funk, K., Mauro, R., Barshi, I.: NextGen flight deck human factor issues. Int. Symp. Aviat. Psychol. 1, 1–12 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Coordination Committee (CCOM) for the US-EU MoC Annex 1 High-Level Committee. NextGen - SESAR State of Harmonisation (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Endsley, M.R.: Situation Awareness, Automation & Free Flight, pp. 1–8 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Geiselman, E.E., Johnson, C.M., Buck, D.R.: Flight deck automation: invaluable collaborator or insidious enabler? Ergon. Des. 21(3), 22–26 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Martin, L., Dulchinos, V., Lozito, S., Kaneshige, J., Sharma, S.: An investigation of flight deck data link in the terminal area. In: Tenth USA/Europe Air Traffic Management Research and Development Seminar. Airport (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.FAA Administration: NextGen implementation plan 2016 (2016)Google Scholar