National Language Technologies Portals for LRLs: A Case Study
- 283 Downloads
The new Welsh National Language Technologies Portal is an extensive resource for researchers, developers in the ICT and digital media spheres, open source enthusiasts and code clubs who may have limited understanding of language technologies but which nevertheless have a need for incorporating linguistic data and capabilities into their own projects, products, processes and services in order to better serve their wider LRL community. It includes a repository of free, simple and accessible resources with documentation, tutorials, example code and projects. This paper describes the rationale and process of building the Portal, new novel resource dissemination mechanisms employed, such as online APIs and Docker, as well as the lessons learnt and applicability to other similar linguistic situations and communities.
KeywordsLRL Repositories Language resources Welsh
The Welsh National Language Technologies Portal project reported on in this paper was made possible with the financial support of the Welsh Government, through its Technology and Digital Media in the Welsh Language Fund. The authors would also like to thank the contributors from various SMEs, hackers and communities of users that assisted the project team.
- Binnenpoorte, D., De Friend, F., Sturm, J., Daelemans, W., Cucchiarini, C.: A field survey for establishing priorities in the development of HLT resources for Dutch. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2002, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (2002)Google Scholar
- Cysill Ar-lein: Bangor University, Bangor (2009). http://www.cysgliad.com/cysill/arlein/. Accessed 17 Sept 2015
- Jones, D.B., Prys G., Prys D.: Vocab: a dictionary plugin for web sites. In: Actes de la conference conjointe JEP-TALN-RECITAL, vol. 6. CLTW, Paris (2016)Google Scholar
- Prys, D., Jones D.B., Cooper, S., Robertson, P.: Adnoddau Technolegau Iaith i’w Cynnwys mewn Porth Adnoddau Cenedlaethol [Language Technology Resources to be Included in a National Terminology Portal]. Unpublished Report to the Welsh Government (2014)Google Scholar
- Prys, D.: The BLARK Matrix and its relation to the language resources situation for the Celtic languages in Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2006, Genoa (2006)Google Scholar
- The Record of Proceedings of the National Assembly of Wales for 28/06/2017 Beginning at 18.33 hours, Cardiff Wales. http://www.cynulliad.cymru/en/bus-home/pages/rop.aspx?meetingid=4301&assembly=5&c=Record%20of%20Proceedings&startDt=28/06/2017&endDt=28/07/2017#484320. Accessed 4 July 2017
- Welsh Language Board: Information Technology and the Welsh Language/Technoleg Gwybodaeth a’r Iaith Gymraeg (2006). http://orca.cf.ac.uk/43799/1/3964.pdf. Accessed 27 Oct 2015
- Welsh National Corpora Portal (2011). http://corpws.cymru/?lang=en. Accessed 9 Sept 2015
- Welsh National Language Technologies Portal (2015). http://techiaith.cymru/?lang=en. Accessed 9 Sept 2015
- Welsh National Terminology Portal (2010). http://termau.cymru/?lang=en. Accessed 9 Sept 2015
- Raspberry Pi Learning Resources: The Turing Test. https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/turing-test-lessons/. Accessed 9 Sept 2015