Urban Transformation - Cultural Heritage and Local Economic Development: The Public Sector on the Battlefront?
- 238 Downloads
Many cities of Central and Eastern Europe beyond their booming metropolitan hubs are suffering from stagnation, declining populations and poor economic development. At the same time, these cities frequently possess a rich cultural heritage, which, at a time of digital transformation and congested urban centres, can be an asset in the fight to regain economic competitiveness. Often, however, existing building stock does not meet current residential or commercial needs. Coordination between the public and private sectors, as well as within the public sector, is needed to resolve the conflicting aims of preserving cultural heritage and ensuring local economic development. Currently, the city of Görlitz is striking out in a new direction by articulating and testing a matrix designed to assess both heritage preservation and urban development. The present chapter explains this tool and discusses some initial experiences.
KeywordsRevitalization Urban transformation Cultural heritage preservation Planning instruments
- BBSR – Bundesinstitut für Bau-, Stadt- und Raumforschung im Bundesamt für Bauwesen und Raumordnung (BBR) (eds) (2017) Mehr Qualität durch Gestaltungsbeiräte. Perspektiven für die Baukultur in Städten und Gemeinden [Better quality through boards of advisers for design issues. Perspectives for building culture in cities and communities], BonnGoogle Scholar
- European Commission/Eurostat (2017) Urban Europe—statistics on cities, towns and suburbs—executive summary. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/3217494/7596823/KS-01-16-691-EN-N.pdf. Accessed 11 Jan 2018
- Goerlitz (2015) Goerlitz for many the most beautiful city on Germant. https://www.novyjicin.cz/wp-content/plugins/download-attachments/includes/download.php?id=29926. Accessed 31 July 2018
- Menzel W (2016) Görlitzer Modell: Stadtumbau-Matrix. Bewertungssystem zur Weiterentwicklung innerstädtischer Bausubstanz [The Görlitz Model: Urban Transformation Matrix. An evaluation system for developing the inner-city building stock]. Unpublished presentation as draft resolution for the city council of the city of Görlitz. Accessed 4 May 2016Google Scholar
- Panagopoulos T, Guimarães MH, Barreira AP (2015) Influences on citizens’ policy preferences for shrinking cities: a case study of four Portuguese cities. Reg Stud Reg Sci 2(1):141–170Google Scholar
- Wolff M, Wiechmann T (2017) Urban growth and decline: Europe’s shrinking cities in a comparative perspective 1990–2010. Eur Urban Reg Stud 25(2):122–139. https://doi.org/10.1177/0969776417694680. Accessed 9 Feb 2018