Some Remarks on True Undecidable Sentences
In this paper I try to discuss the question of the truth-value of Gödel-type undecidable sentences in a framework which keeps into due account the idea that mathematical inquiry develops in a three-level framework: informal (or pre-formal) mathematics, (informal) theories, and formal theories. Moreover, it is to be stressed that no phase deletes the other ones; all of them, so to speak, live together.
KeywordsTruth Proof Gödel’s incompleteness theorems Undecidable sentences
- Bassani, F., A. Marino, and C. Sbordone, eds. 2001. E. De Giorgi. Anche la scienza ha bisogno di sognare. Pisa: Pisa University Press.Google Scholar
- Benacerraf, P., and H. Putnam, eds. 1983. Philosophy of mathematics. Selected readings. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Ewald, William, ed. 1996. From Kant to Hilbert. A source book in the foundations of mathematics, vol. II. Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Gödel, K. 1986. Collected works. Volume I (Publications 1929–1936), ed. S. Feferman, et al. New York/Oxford: Oxford University Press/Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Gödel, K. 2003. Collected works IV–V: Correspondence, ed. S. Feferman, et al. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hempel, C.C. 1945. On the nature of mathematical truth. American Mathematical Monthly 52: 543. Reprinted in Feigl, H., and W. Sellars, Readings in philosophical analysis, New York, 1949.Google Scholar
- Hilbert, D. 1918. Axiomatisches denken. Mathematische Annalen 78: 405–415. Reprinted in Hilbert, 1935. Eng. trans. in Ewald, 1996.
- Lakatos, I. 1976. Proofs and refutations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. The articles were originally published in the British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 1963–1964.Google Scholar
- Pantsar, M. 2009. Truth, proof and Gödelian arguments: A defence of Tarskian truth in mathematics. Philosophical studies from the University of Helsinki, vol. 23. Department of Philosophy, University of Helsinki.Google Scholar
- Piazza, M., and G. Pulcini. 2013. Strange case of Dr. soundness and Mr. consistency. In Logica yearbook, 161–172. College Publications.Google Scholar
- Piazza, M., and G. Pulcini. 2015. A deflationary account of the truth of the Gödel sentence G. In From logic to practice. Italian studies in the philosophy of mathematics, ed. G. Lolli, M. Panza, and G. Venturi, 71–90. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Piazza, M., and G. Pulcini. 2016. What’s so special about the Gödel sentence G? In Objectivity, realism, and proof. FilMat studies in the philosophy of mathematics. Boston studies in the philosophy and history of science, vol. 318, ed. F.B.A. Sereni, 245–263. Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Tarski, A. 1983. Logic, semantics, metamathematics. Papers from 1923 to 1938, 2nd revised ed. Indianapolis: Hackett.Google Scholar