Sustainability Assurance: Who Are the Assurance Providers and What Do They Do?
Sustainability assurance is a voluntary undertaking in most countries. As a result, there is no restriction on who can provide sustainability assurance services or the approach to assurance. This chapter explores the different types of sustainability assurance providers operating in the market. These assurance providers can be segregated into two broad categories comprising of accounting sustainability assurance providers and non-accounting sustainability assurance providers. The similarities and differences in approach to sustainability assurance undertaken by accounting and non-accounting sustainability assurance providers are discussed. The chapter also explores the differences in practitioners’ approach to conducting the sustainability assurance engagement. The discussion highlights the challenges faced by assurance providers and assurance seekers (i.e. sustainability reporters) in the market for this new form of assurance.
KeywordsSustainability Corporate social responsibility Audit Assurance Verification Sustainability assurance Sustainability reporting
- AccountAbility. (2008a). AA1000 AccountAbility Principles Standard 2008. Available at: http://www.accountability.org/images/content/0/7/074/AA1000APS%202008.pdf. Accessed 17 Feb 2014.
- AccountAbility. (2008b). AA1000 Assurance Standard 2008. Available at: http://www.accountability.org/images/content/0/5/056/AA1000AS%202008.pdf. Accessed 17 Feb 2014.
- AccountAbility. (2015). About us. Available at: http://www.accountability.org/about-us/index.html. Accessed 25 Aug 2015.
- CorporateRegister.com Limited. (2008). Assure view: The CSR assurance statement report. Available at: http://www.corporateregister.com/pdf/AssureView.pdf. Accessed 21 Aug 2015.
- Elliott, R. K. (1998). Assurance services and the audit heritage. Auditing: A Journal of Theory & Practice, 17, 1–7.Google Scholar
- IAASB. (2013). International standard on assurance engagements 3000 (revised): Assurance engagements other than audits or reviews of historical financial information. Available at: https://www.ifac.org/publications-resources/international-standard-assurance-engagements-isae-3000-revised-assurance-enga. Accessed 19 Feb 2014.
- Kolk, A., & Perego, P. (2010). Determinants of the adoption of sustainability assurance statements: An international investigation. Business Strategy and the Environment, 19, 182–198.Google Scholar
- KPMG. (2013). The KPMG survey of corporate responsibility reporting 2015. Available at: https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/pdf/2016/02/kpmg-international-survey-of-corporate-responsibility-reporting-2015.pdf. Accessed 19 Oct 2017.
- KPMG. (2015). The KPMG survey of corporate responsibility reporting 2015. Available at: https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2015/11/kpmg-international-survey-of-corporate-responsibilityreporting-2015.html. Accessed 1 Jan 2018.
- Perego, P. (2009). Causes and consequences of choosing different assurance providers: An international study of study of sustainability reporting. International Journal of Management, 26, 412–425.Google Scholar