Trump and Nuclear Weapons
In this chapter, Thomas MacManus provides an examination of nuclear weapons in the age of Donald Trump. Through examining Trump’s reckless language and dangerous nuclear posturing toward North Korea, MacManus questions the legality of these threats as codified in international law. Moreover, MacManus discusses the legal mechanisms in the USA that provide a modicum of constraint for the deployment of nuclear weapons by the Trump regime.
- Adams, Sherman. 1961. Firsthand Report: The Story of the Eisenhower Administration. New York: Harper & Brothers.Google Scholar
- BBC. 2017. North Korea Conducts Ballistic Missile Test. BBC Asia, February 12. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38947451.
- Biden, Joe. 2017. Remarks by the Vice President on Nuclear Security (as prepared for delivery). Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project, January 11. http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=121419.
- Blix, Hans. 1988. Means and Methods of Combat. In International Dimensions of Humanitarian Law, ed. UNESCO, 1998, 144–145. Leiden: Martinus Nijhoff.Google Scholar
- Bump, Philip. 2016. Are Donald Trump’s Fingers Weirdly Short? An Investigation. Washington Post, March 1. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/03/01/are-donald-trumps-fingers-weirdly-short-an-investigation/.
- CBS. 2016. Face the Nation Transcripts January 3, 2016: Trump, Morell & Donilon. CBS News/AP, January 3. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/face-the-nation-transcripts-january-3-2016-trump-morell-donilon/.
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. 1963. The White House Years: Mandate for Change, 1953–1956. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- Falk, Richard. 2018. Book Launch: Revisiting the Vietnam War: The Views and Interpretations of Richard Falk. Ed. Stefan Andersson. Global Justice in the 21st Century (Blog), March 2. https://richardfalk.wordpress.com/2018/03/02/book-launch-revisiting-the-vietnam-war-the-views-and-interpretations-of-richard-falk-edited-by-stefan-andersson/.
- Gavin, Francis J. 2018. Must we mean what we say? Making sense of the nuclear posture review. War on the Rocks, February 15. https://warontherocks.com/2018/02/must-mean-say-making-sense-nuclear-posture-review/.
- Gronlund, Lisbeth. 2018. Nuclear Posture Review Policies Increase Risk of Nuclear War. February 2. https://www.ucsusa.org/press/2018/nuclear-posture-review-policies-increase-risk-nuclear-war.
- Kershner, Isabel. 2018. Netanyahu, Visiting U.S., Is Stalked by Legal Troubles at Home. New York Times, March 5. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/world/middleeast/israel-netanyahu-corruption-scandal.html.
- Kimball, Daryl G., and Kingston Reif. 2017. Trump Questions U.S. Nuclear Policies. Arms Control Today, March. https://www.armscontrol.org/act/2017-07/news/trump-continues-obama-nuclear-funding.
- Kline, Naomi. 2017. No Is Not Enough: Defeating the New Shock Politics. UK: Penguin Random House.Google Scholar
- Kube, Courtney, Kristen Welker, Carol E. Lee, and Savannah Guthrie. 2017. Trump Wanted Tenfold Increase in Nuclear Arsenal, Surprising Military. NBC News, October 11, 2017. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/trump-wanted-dramatic-increase-nuclear-arsenal-meeting-military-leaders-n809701.
- MSNBC. 2016. Donald Trump Won’t Take Nukes Off the Table. MSNBC Hardball, March 31. http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/watch/donald-trump-won-t-take-nukes-off-the-table-655471171934.
- NBC. 2008 . NBC Meet The Press. NBC, October 24. https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/flashback-trump-says-negotiate-like-crazy-with-north-korea-1020367939707.
- Nuclear Posture Review (NPR). 2018. Nuclear Posture Review Final Report. USA Department of Defence. https://media.defense.gov/2018/Feb/02/2001872886/-1/-1/1/2018-NUCLEAR-POSTURE-REVIEW-FINAL-REPORT.PDF.
- Pach, Chester J., Jr. n.d. Dwight D. Eisenhower: Foreign Affairs. The Miller Center, University of Virginia. Available at https://millercenter.org/president/eisenhower/foreign-affairs.
- Panda, Ankit. 2018. US must be wary of Kim Jong-un’s ‘olive branch’ offer to South Korea and its Winter Games. South China Morning Post, January 3. http://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2126594/opinion-us-must-be-wary-kim-jong-uns-olive-branch-offer.
- Perry, Mark. 2018. Trump’s Nuke Plan Raising Alarms Among Military Brass. The American Conservative, February 2. http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/trumps-new-nuke-nuclear-plan-npr-raising-alarms-among-military-brass-war/.
- Shwayder, Maya. 2013. Adelson: US Should Drop Atomic Bomb on Iran. Jerusalem Post, October 24.Google Scholar
- Tobias, Manuela. 2017. A Trump nuclear strike against North Korea: constitutional or not? Politifact, August 10. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/aug/10/nuclear-strike-against-north-korea-constitutional-/.
- Vitali, Ali. 2017. Trump’s Tweets ‘Official Statements,’ Spicer Says. NBC News, June 6. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-s-tweets-official-statements-spicer-says-n768931.
- Wagner, John, and Anna Fifield. 2017. Trump: ‘All Options Are on the Table’ After North Korea Launched Missile Over Japan. Washington Post, August 29. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/08/29/trump-all-options-are-on-the-table-following-north-korea-missile-launch-over-japan/.
- Wolff, Michael. 2018. Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump Whitehouse. London: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Yuhas, Alan. 2016. Trump contradicts himself on nuclear weapons—as it happened, US elections 2016 The 2016 campaign, minute-by-minute. The Guardian (UK), April 3. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/apr/03/donald-trump-ted-cruz-republicans-wisconsin-sanders-clinton-live/.
- Zeleny, Jeff, Dan Merica, and Kevin Liptak. 2017. Trump’s ‘Fire and Fury’ Remark Was Improvised But Familiar. CNN, August 9. https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/09/politics/trump-fire-fury-improvise-north-korea/index.html.