FITradeoff Method for the Location of Healthcare Facilities Based on Multiple Stakeholders’ Preferences
Multiple stakeholders’ preferences are considered for solving a healthcare facility location problem in the city of Milan, Italy. The preference modeling is based on the Flexible and Interactive Tradeoff (FITradeoff), a Multicriteria Decision Making (MCDM) method used to elicit criteria scaling constants in additive models. FITradeoff is an easy tool for decision makers, because it requires them to exert less effort than other traditional elicitation methods, as the tradeoff procedure. Therefore, it is expected that fewer inconsistencies will appear during the elicitation process. Sixteen criteria were used to evaluate in which of six potential areas a new hospital could be sited. An analyst with a strong background in MCDM interviewed four actors, and elicited their preferences with the help of the FITradeoff Decision Support System (FITradeoff DSS).
KeywordsHealthcare facilities location Multicriteria decision-making Additive model FITradeoff
This study was partially sponsored by the Brazilian Research Council (CNPq) for which the authors are most grateful.
- 3.Chiu, J.E., Tsai, H.H.: Applying Analytic Hierarchy Process to select optimal expansion of hospital location: the case of a regional teaching hospital in Yunlin. In: 10th International Conference on Service Systems and Service Management (ICSSSM), pp. 603–606. IEEE (2013). https://doi.org/10.1109/icsssm.2013.6602588
- 6.de Almeida, A.T.: FITradeoff method for resolving evaluation of criteria by interactive flexible elicitation in group and multicriteria decision aid. CDSID Working Paper also Presented as Keynote at Joint International Conference of the INFORMS GDN Section and the EURO Working Group on DSS, Toulouse (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.de Almeida, A.T., Cavalcante, C.A.V., Alencar, M.H., Ferreira, R.J.P., Almeida-Filho, A.T., Garcez, T.V.: Multicriteria and Multiobjective Models for Risk, Reliability and Maintenance Decision Analysis. International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, vol. 231. Springer, Cham (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-17969-8CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Dell’Ovo, M., Frej, E.A., Oppio, A., Capolongo, S., Morais, D.C., de Almeida, A.T.: Multicriteria decision making for healthcare facilities location with visualization based on fitradeoff method. In: Linden, I., Liu, S., Colot, C. (eds.) ICDSST 2017. LNBIP, vol. 282, pp. 32–44. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-57487-5_3CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Grad, F.P.: The preamble of the constitution of the World Health Organization. Bull. World Health Organ. 80, 981 (2002)Google Scholar
- 19.Keeney, R.L., Raiffa, H.: Decision Analysis with Multiple Conflicting Objectives. Wiley, New York (1976)Google Scholar
- 27.Tavakkoli-Moghaddam, R., Sotoudeh-Anvari, A., Siadat, A.: A multi-criteria group decision-making approach for facility location selection using PROMETHEE under a fuzzy environment. In: Kamiński, B., Kersten, Gregory E., Szapiro, T. (eds.) GDN 2015. LNBIP, vol. 218, pp. 145–156. Springer, Cham (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-19515-5_12CrossRefGoogle Scholar