Agent-Based Approach for Energy-Efficient IoT Services Discovery and Management
Internet of Things (IoT) systems are becoming omnipresent, with miscellaneous solutions in diverse domains. To release the full potential of the IoT, it is needed to have dynamic user-centric systems where services can be executed according to user demands. A growing number of devices that is being deployed need to be capable to be discovered easily by the IoT platforms, and offer their services automatically, without human intervention. Due to the complexity of IoT systems, automatic discovery and management of services offered by IoT devices is rarely aligned with user demands. In this paper we propose an agent-based approach which enables the discovery and management of IoT services. Furthermore, it enables the control of devices according to user-defined rules or direct commands.
KeywordsIoT M2M Agents Service management
This work is supported by the H2020 symbIoTe project, which has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 688156.
- 3.Datta, S.K., Da Costa, R.P.F., Bonnet, C.: Resource discovery in Internet of Things: current trends and future standardization aspects. In: Proceedings of the IEEE World Forum on Internet of Things, WF-IoT 2015, pp. 542–547 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Georgakopoulos, D., Jayaraman, P.P., Zhang, M., Ranjan, R.: Discovery-driven service oriented IoT architecture. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Collaboration and Internet Computing, CIC 2015, pp. 142–149 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Helal, R., ElMougy, A.: An energy-efficient service discovery protocol for the IoT based on a multi-tier WSN architecture. In: Proceedings of Conference on Local Computer Networks, LCN 2015, pp. 862–869, December 2015Google Scholar
- 7.Jara, A.J., Lopez, P., Fernandez, D., Castillo, J.F., Zamora, M.A., Skarmeta, A.F.: Mobile digcovery: a global service discovery for the Internet of Things. In: Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops, WAINA 2013, pp. 1325–1330 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.oneM2M: M2M Functional Architecture. Technical Specification (2016). http://www.onem2m.org/images/files/deliverables/Release2/TS-0001-%20Functional_Architecture-V2_10_0.pdf
- 9.Open Mobile Alliance (OMA): OMA Device Management Protocol. Technical Specification (2016). http://www.openmobilealliance.org/release/DM/V1_3-20160524-A/OMA-TS-DM_Protocol-V1_3-20160524-A.pdf
- 12.Statista: Internet of Things (IoT) connected devices installed base worldwide from 2015 to 2025 (in billions) (2018). https://www.statista.com/statistics/471264/iot-number-of-connected-devices-worldwide/
- 14.Wang, E., Chow, R.: What can i do here? IoT service discovery in smart cities. In: IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communication Workshops, PerCom Workshops 2016 (2016)Google Scholar