Acceptance and Effectiveness of Collision Avoidance System in Public Transportation
This study investigated the acceptance and effectiveness of a lane departure warning and forward collision warning in public transportation. Five professional drivers from the Older Adult Transportation Service (OATS) participated in this study. During the experiment, the total number of alarms for each day was collected from the testing vehicles, and survey responses were also gathered from the drivers. Questionnaires were designed to determine whether the collision avoidance system performed as expected and any potential crashes avoided due to the use of the devices. Our results indicated that 75% of drivers showed significant differences in driving behavior after they used the collision avoidance system. 60% of drivers reported positive feedback for the lane departure warning and 40% of drivers felt confident in the forward collision warning.
KeywordsCollision avoidance Lane departure warning Forward collision warning Public transportation system
Missouri Employers Mutual supported this research.
- 2.Schwall, M.L., et al.: Testing and analysis of autonomous emergency braking systems using the Euro NCAP vehicle target. In: ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Thompson, J., et al.: The transport for new south Wales FleetCAT (fleet collision avoidance technology) trial: drivers attitudes to the technology. In: Australasian Road Safety Conference, 2016. ACT, Canberra (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, X., Kim, J.H.: The effect of visual stimulus on advanced driver assistance systems in a real driving. In: IIE Annual Conference, Proceedings of Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Eichelberger, A.H., McCartt, A.T.: Toyota Drivers’ Experiences with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, the Pre-Collision System, and Lane-Keeping Assist (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Gaspar, J., et al.: Driver behavior in forward collision and lane departure scenarios. SAE Technical paper (2016)Google Scholar