A Method of Car Styling Evaluation Based on Eye Tracking
In order to remedy the weakness of traditional subjective evaluation method and acquire the users’ objective assessment on automotive form design, a method of Auto form evaluation based on eye tracking is proposed. First, the index system is structured on the basis of heatmap including striping the background, extracting color characters by HSV model and calculating the statistic of grey level histogram. Second, the evaluation on auto form is defined as binary classification, and the function model is built by Fisher discriminate. The reliability and practicality of this method was validated by taking a case. The result showed that overall accuracy of this method was high. So a feasible technical approach for the rapid evaluation of automotive styling is provided.
KeywordsCar styling Evaluation methods Eye tracking Feature extraction Discriminate function
The author would like to thank National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51205228), Anhui Natural Science Foundation Project (No. 1508085QG144).
- 1.China Association of Automobile Manufactures, et al.: Annual Report on Automotive Industry in China. Social Science Academic Press, Beijing (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Karjalainen, T.-M.: When is a car like a drink? Metaphor as a means to distilling brand identity through product design references. Des. Manag. J. 12(1), 66–71 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, F., Yang, M., Liu, W.: Evaluation of automobile form design based on fuzzy TOPSIS. Comput. Integr. Manuf. Syst. 20(2), 276–281 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Hyoenae, J., Radach, R., Deubel, H.: The Mind’s Eye: Cognitive and Applied Aspects of Eye Movement Research. Elsevier Science BV, Holland (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Yang, S.: Pattern Recognition and Intelligent Computing: Publishing House of Electric Industry, Beijing (2011)Google Scholar