What Sensory Desires Make Young Chinese Users Prefer One Instrumental Panel Form of Passenger Car to Another?
To investigate into what and how sensory desires affect young Chinese users’ perceiving and liking instrumental panel (IP) form, young users as consumers with age of 25 to 35 are invited to estimate on both similarity of ninety-seven IP samples of passenger car in fifty-five main auto brands in Chinese market, and similarity of meanings of fifty-six image words. The cluster analysis is conducted and ten representative image words, i.e., ‘Layered’, ‘Prospective’, ‘Rough’, ‘Graceful’, ‘Economical’, ‘Exciting’, ‘Delicate’, ‘Dynamic’, ‘Favorite’ and ‘Solemn’, are extracted as representative images. With multidimensional scaling the perceptual map is plotted for qualitative morphological analysis, and sixteen IP forms are generated by orthogonal design and evaluated by users from the perspective of each of ten representative images in turn with semantic differential method. A multivariate linear regression analysis is then completed to examine the relationship between image ‘Favorite’ and other nine representative images. It is found that four sensory images including ‘Exciting’, ‘Graceful’, ‘Delicate’ and ‘Solemn’, in bigger to smaller coefficient order, play significant (P < 0.001) and positive roles in determining the feeling of ‘Favorite’ image, making young Chinese users prefer one IP form of passenger car to another.
KeywordsUser research Instrumental panel form of passenger car The perceptual map Multivariate regression analysis
- 4.Gu, F., Zhao, D.: Construction of the emotional semantic pool for automotive interior design evaluation. Packag. Eng. 37(20), 30–34 (2016). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Zeng, Q., Zhao, J., Tan, H.: Mood board tool and methods in vehicle HMI interaction design. Packag. Eng. 35(22), 22–26 (2014). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, C., Zhu, X.: A review on in-vehicle information system design based on gesture interaction. Zhuangshi 5, 100–102 (2016). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.Mao, L.: A study on user experience design for automobile’s interior. Master’s thesis, Nanjing University of Science & Technology, Nanjing (2012). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Wu, Y.: The construction of security on vehicle design. Zhuangshi 4, 135–136 (2013). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, L., Tang, J., Gao, J.: Research on automobile interior design based on operation process of Kansei Engineering. Modern Manuf. Eng. 11, 94–98 (2010). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 13.Analysis of the ratio of potential car buyers for the first time to car consumers in different types. http://www.chyxx.com/industry/201711/580329.html. Accessed 15 Jan 2018
- 14.China Statistical Yearbook. http://www.stats.gov.cn/tjsj/ndsj/2017/indexch.htm. Accessed 15 Jan 2018
- 15.Car sales ranking list. http://price.pcauto.com.cn/top/k0.html. Accessed 15 Jan 2018
- 16.Zhang, W.: Advanced Course of Statistical Analysis Using SPSS, pp. 235–260. Higher Education Press, Beijing (2004). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 17.Liu, C., Zhu, X.: Young consumers’ perception of form style of passenger cars. Packag. Eng. 37(24), 6–10 (2016). (in Chinese)Google Scholar