Towards a Conceptual Model of Intelligent Information System for Smart Tourism Destinations
Smart tourism destinations represent a new concept of application of information technologies and information sharing in destinations, leading to the higher competitiveness and satisfaction of all relevant stakeholders, including tourists as tourism product co-creators and co-promoters of a destination. Although the use of information technologies in tourism destinations is well analyzed, the requirements on information system integrating all relevant technologies have not been conceptualized so far. Therefore the aim of the paper is to propose a conceptual model of intelligent information system for smart tourism destinations based on the state-of-the art technologies applied in tourism destinations. The selected smart destinations are analyzed together with the use of information technologies during the travel behavior. The proposed model consists of three layers – data collection, processing and exchange. The article contributes to the new paradigm research – the management of smart destinations and use of big data in tourism development.
KeywordsBig data Information technology Intelligent system Smart tourism destination
The research was supported by the research project VEGA 1/0809/17 Reengineering of destination management organizations and good destination governance conformed to principles of sustainable development.
- 2.Giffinger, R., Fertner, C., Kramar, H., Kalasek, R., Pichler-Milanovic, N., Meijers, E.: Smart Cities. Ranking of European Medium-Sized Cities, Vienna (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Buhalis, D.: eTourism: Information Technology for Strategic Tourism Management. Pearson Education Limited, Edinburgh (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang, L., Li, N., Liu, M.: On the basic concept of smarter tourism and its theoretical system. Tour. Tribune 27(5), 66–73 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Schegg, R., Hébert, E.: Intégration des technologies smart par les organisations touristiques en Suisse. Sierre (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.Gajdošík, T.: Smart tourism destination? The case of Slovakia. In: Borseková, K., Vaňová, A., Vitálišová, K. (eds.) 6th Central European Conference in Regional Science Engines of Urban and Regional Development Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic, 20–22 September 2017, pp. 217–225. Faculty of Economics, Matej Bel University in Banská Bystrica, Banská Bystrica (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Cousin, S., Chareyron, G., Jacquot, S.: Big data and tourism. In: Lowry, L. (ed.) The SAGE International Encyclopedia of Travel and Tourism, pp. 151–155 (2017)Google Scholar