Will Democracy Survive Big Data and Artificial Intelligence?
We are in the middle of a technological upheaval that will transform the way society is organized. We must make the right decisions now.
Enlightenment is man’s emergence from his self-imposed immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one’s understanding without guidance from another.
—Immanuel Kant, “What is Enlightenment?” (1784)
KeywordsIntelligent Beings Automatic Control Strategy Cybernetic Loop Applicable Data Protection Law Collective Intelligence
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- ACLU: Orwellian Citizen Score, China’s credit score system, is a warning for Americans, http://www.computerworld.com/article/2990203/security/aclu-orwellian-citizen-score-chinas-credit-score-system-is-a-warning-for-americans.html
- Big data, meet Big Brother: China invents the digital totalitarian state. The worrying implications of its social-credit project. The Economist (December 17, 2016)Google Scholar
- Frey, B.S., Gallus, J.: Beneficial and exploitative nudges. In: Economic analysis of law in European legal scholarship. Springer, Heidelberg (2015)Google Scholar
- Grassegger, H., Krogerus, M: Ich habe nur gezeigt, dass es die Bombe gibt [I have only shown the bomb exists]. Das Magazin (3. Dezember 2016). https://www.dasmagazin.ch/2016/12/03/ich-habe-nur-gezeigt-dass-es-die-bombe-gibt/
- Harris, S.: The Social Laboratory, Foreign Policy (29 July 2014). http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/07/29/the-social-laboratory/
- Helbing, D.: The automation of society is next: How to survive the digital revolution. CreateSpace, 2015Google Scholar
- Tong, V.J.C.: Predicting how people think and behave, International Innovation, http://www.internationalinnovation.com/predicting-how-people-think-and-behave/
- Zicari, R., Zwitter, A.: Data for humanity: An open letter. Frankfurt Big Data Lab, 13.07.2015. Zwitter, A.: Big Data Ethics. In: Big Data & Society 1(2), 2014Google Scholar
© Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2019