Afterword: The Mind-Made Future
From Bitcoin to seasteading to an endeavor called Galt’s Gulch Chile, Ayn Rand has connections to numerous noteworthy projects undertaken in the twenty-first century. Rand continues to rise in the academy’s consciousness, as her influence in the halls of power—and in boardrooms, and on the main streets of America—remains as strong as ever. Depending on who is discussing posthumanism, we have either already become posthuman, or posthumans are sure to evolve from humanity in the future. Murnane argues that we must understand Rand’s influence in the arena of the posthuman—the arena of modern conceptions of technology—but not turn to Rand’s absolutism, as we look to set policy that deals with our evolving nature.
- Braidotti, Rosi. 2017. “Posthuman Critical Theory.” Journal of Posthuman Studies 1, no. 1: 9–25. https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/10.5325/jpoststud.1.1.0009.
- Brook, Yaron. 2012. “Yaron Answers: Inequality Under Capitalism.” YouTube video, 4:03. Posted by the Ayn Rand Institute, December 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJQoZrhRug.
- Burns, Jennifer. 2009. Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Cookinham, Frederick. 2005. The Age of Rand: Imagining an Objectivist Future World. New York: iUniverse.Google Scholar
- Economist. 2013. “Bitcoin Paradise.” December 25. http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2013/12/libertarian-enclaves.
- Fukuyama, Francis. 2002. Our Posthuman Future: Consequences of the Biotechnology Revolution. London: Profile Books.Google Scholar
- Fukuyama, Francis. 2009. “Transhumanism.” Foreign Policy, October 23. Originally published in Foreign Policy, September–October 2004. http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/10/23/transhumanism/.
- Galt’s Gulch Chile. n.d. Accessed April 15, 2014. http://galtsgulchchile.com/.
- Hughes, James. 2004. Citizen Cyborg: Why Democratic Societies Must Respond to the Redesigned Human of the Future. Cambridge, MA: Westview.Google Scholar
- Istvan, Zoltan. 2013. “I’m an Atheist, Therefore I’m a Transhumanist.” Huffington Post, December 5. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zoltan-istvan/im-an-atheist-therefore-i_b_4388778.html.
- Prisco, Giulio. 2014. “The Extropian Roots of Bitcoin.” Cryptocoins News, October 5. https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/extropian-roots-bitcoin/.
- Wakefield, Jane. 2017. “Musk and Zuckerberg Clash over Future of AI.” BBC News, July 25. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40716301.
- Weiss, Gary. 2013. Ayn Rand Nation: The Hidden Struggle for America’s Soul. New York: St. Martin’s Griffin.Google Scholar