Between Authoritarianism and Liberalism: The Potential and Limits of Elections
- 252 Downloads
“Democracy in Crisis,” the title of the 2018 Freedom house data warns against the declining political rights and civil liberties in the world politics. Following the global pattern the countries of the East Mediterranean region has the average score of 41.5 out of 100 (see the Fig. 1 below for regional and country specific scores). What distinguishes the region from others, however, is the incredibly uneven scores and the concerning decline. On the one hand, the current situation in Syria introduced a rare rating of negative one, on the other hand the relatively high scores of Israel and Greece and designation as “free,” do not eliminate the concerns regarding declining some liberties and freedom. For instance, Israel’s civil liberties score declined because of new legislation aimed at tightening restrictions on critical nongovernmental organizations and denying them access to international support.
KeywordsCritical Nongovernmental Organizations Country-specific Scoring East Mediterranean Region Competitive Authoritarian Regimes (CARs) Invalid Votes
The author acknowledges Michael Dirksen and Mine Tafolar’s significant contributions to the analysis.
- Analysis of the results of the November 1st election and the electorate. (2015). Konda November 15’ Barometer. Retrieved from http://konda.com.tr/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/KONDA_Nov1BallotandElectorateAnalysisReport.pdf
- Arbatlı, E. (2014). Turkey’s new path: The rise of electoral authoritarianism. Centre for Policy and Research on Turkey (Research Turkey), III(12), 76-92. http://researchturkey.org/
- Burnham, W. D. (1970). Critical elections and the mainsprings of American politics. New York: W. W. Norton and Co.Google Scholar
- Dahl, R. (1989). Democracy and its critics. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Freedom in the World 2018. (2018). Freedom House. Retrieved from https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2018/
- June 7 election and electorate analysis. (2015). Konda June Election Report. Retrieved from http://konda.com.tr/en/rapor/june-7-election-and-electorate-analysis/
- On the amendments to the constitution adopted by the Grand National Assembly on 21 January 2017 and to be submitted to a national referendum on 16 April 2017. (2017). European Commission for Democracy Through Law (Venice Commission). Retrieved from http://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/documents/default.aspx?pdffile=cdl-ad(2017)005-e
- Sohn, H. (1989). Authoritarianism and opposition in South Korea. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Sundquist, J. L. (1973). Dynamics of the party system: Alignment and realignment of the political parties in the United States. Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution.Google Scholar