Masculinity’s New Battle Arena in International e-Sports: The Games Begin
While e-sports fans and participants claim that digital play can subvert traditional conceptions of masculinity, offering alternative narratives of worth not as reliant on the physical body, it is becoming clear that competitive video games are still reinforcing certain toxic behavioral and linguistic patterns, particularly along ethnic boundaries. This chapter focuses on League of Legends, a multiplayer online battle arena game whose recent, international tournaments have been rife with antagonistic confrontations extending beyond the computer screen. The persistent East versus West dynamic, and the accompanying rhetoric that at once dehumanizes and effeminizes the perceived “enemy,” are symptomatic of a cultural friction rooted in notions of masculine superiority.
KeywordsMasculinity Digital games Nationalism Ethnicity e-Sports
- Adams, Tarn. 2006. Dwarf Fortress. Bay 12 Games.Google Scholar
- Allen, Nick. 2014. Interregional Movement Policy: Official Rule. League of Legends, September 13. http://2015.na.lolesports.com/articles/interregional-movement-policy-official-rule.
- barteks10. 2016. Team SoloMid vs. Cloud 9/NA LCS 2016 Spring—Week 6/Post-Match Discussion [HAI in the Background is Like Where are My Hunnies, Fuck My Life], February 21. Message. https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/46sh5g/team_solomid_vs_cloud_9_na_lcs_2016_spring_week_6/d07iaoq.
- Blizzard Entertainment. 2010. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. Irvine, CA: Blizzard Entertainment.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, Pierre. 2010. Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Carson, Cameron. 2011. Do Asian Teams Really Dominate Western Teams? Fnatic, March 13. http://www.fnatic.com/content/8569.
- D.Devil. 2011. eSports: A Short History of Nearly Everything. TeamLiquid, July 31. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/249860-esports-a-short-history-of-nearly-everything.
- Dorsey, Patrick. 2014. Gordon Hayward Says He’s Better Than LeBron … at ‘League of Legends’ ESPN, October 15. http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/instantawesome-141014/gordon-hayward-says-better-lebron-james-league-legends.
- Eum, Jay. 2015. The Next Multibillion Dollar Tech Trend from Asia: E-sports. VentureBeat, March 29. http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/29/the-next-multibillion-dollar-tech-trend-from-asia-e-sports/.
- Fairclough, Norman. 1993. Discourse and Social Change. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Gera, Emily. 2014. Where are the Women in eSports. Polygon, May 27. http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/5723446/women-in-esports-professional-gaming-riot-games-blizzard-starcraft-lol.
- GhostshipDemos. 2016. Team SoloMid vs. Cloud 9/NA LCS 2016 Spring—Week 6/Post-Match Discussion [http://i.imgur.com/NMyZPMs.jpg], February 21. Message. https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/46sh5g/team_solomid_vs_cloud_9_na_lcs_2016_spring_week_6/d07j29r/.
- Gilbert, Sandra, and Susan Gubar. 2000. The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination. New Haven: Yale UP.Google Scholar
- IM_12_YRS_OLD. 2016. Peanut Appreciation Thread, October 21. https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/58rfr7/peanut_appreciation_thread/.
- Kim, Andrew. 2016. Crown Talks to Korean Casters About Being Booed, CuVee’s Haircut and SSG’s Chances to Win the Summoner’s Cup. Slingshot, October 14. https://slingshotesports.com/2016/10/14/crown-on-being-booed-cuvees-haircut-ssgs-chances-to-win-the-summoners-cup/.
- Kluwe, Chris. 2014. Why #Gamergaters Piss Me The F*** Off. Medium, October 21. https://thecauldron.si.com/why-gamergaters-piss-me-the-f-off-a7e4c7f6d8a6#.lc64tqdtx.
- Kwak, Haewoon, and Jeremy Blackburn. 2015. Linguistic Analysis of Toxic Behavior in an Online Video Game. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Including Subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics) 8852: 209–217.Google Scholar
- LoL Esports VODs KazaGamez. 2014. LMQ vs Complexity Black Grand Final Game 1 NA Challenger Series YouTube, February 16. https://youtu.be/KyqhV9U6-SQ?t=11m.
- Mueller, Saira. 2016. Rick Fox: Echo Fox Beat Several Teams in Fight to Sign Sean Gares—Just Like with Froggen. The Daily Dot, January 27. http://www.dailydot.com/esports/echo-fox-counter-strike-global-offensive-roster-m0e-sgares/.
- Müller-Rodic, Alexander T. 2014. Official Apology from SK Gaming. SK Gaming, September 16. http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/1666237-Official_apology_from_SK_Gaming.
- Newman, Michael Z. 2015. The Name of the Game Is Jocktronics: Sport and Masculinity in Early Video Games. In Playing to Win, ed. Thomas P. Oates and Robert Alan Brookey, 23–44. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Promasterchief. 2016. Team SoloMid vs. Cloud 9/NA LCS 2016 Spring—Week 6/Post-Match Discussion [He Looks Like the Wiz Khalifa of E-sports in this], February 21. Message. https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/46sh5g/team_solomid_vs_cloud_9_na_lcs_2016_spring_week_6/d07iaoq.
- Reilly, Rick. 2012. How Do You Like Me Now? ESPN, February 15. http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7574087/overlooking-jeremy-lin.
- Sawyer, Keith. 2011. The Western Cultural Model of Creativity: Its Influence on Intellectual Property Law. The Notre Dame Law Review 86 (5): 2027–2056.Google Scholar
- Scott, David. 2008. China and the International System, 1840–1949: Power, Presence, and Perceptions in a Century of Humiliation. Albany: SUNY Press.Google Scholar
- Skiipie. 2016. Team SoloMid vs. Cloud 9/NA LCS 2016 Spring—Week 6/Post-Match Discussion [https://twitter.com/ShorterACE/status/650713370287468544], February 21. Message. https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/46sh5g/team_solomid_vs_cloud_9_na_lcs_2016_spring_week_6/d07iaoq.
- Tarp96. 2016. I Am Happy with Koreans Dominating, as Long as We Get to See High Quality League of Legends, October 22. https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/58tecn/i_am_happy_with_koreans_dominating_as_long_as_we/.
- Taylor, Nick. 2012a. A Silent Team is a Dead Team: Communicative Norms in Competitive FPS Play. In Guns, Grenades, and Grunts: First-Person Shooter Games, ed. Gerald A. Voorhees, Joshua Call, and Katie Whitlock. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Taylor, T.L. 2012b. Raising the Stakes: E-Sports and the Professionalization of Computer Gaming. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Whitlock, Jason. 2012. Twitter Post, February 10, 10:52pm. http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s%2D%2DM6m3_xTU%2D%2D/18j4mb3rz8a42png.png.