Comparison of the Porosity Determination on the Whole Core and Petrophysical Samples
The paper presents the result of core porosity measurements obtained by traditional (nuclear magnetic resonance method and liquid saturation method using the standard petrophysical samples) and alternative method—nuclear magnetic resonance using a whole core. The goal of the research is to prove the correctness of the porosity values obtained by the nuclear magnetic resonance method using whole core. The comparative analysis of the porosity values was carried out. The analysis shows a high degree of correlation between data obtained by different methods. This allows to state that it is possible to use nuclear magnetic resonance method for the porosity evaluation of a whole core. A great advantage of method is its non-destructive ability and high speed of measurement. At the end of the paper, conclusions were drawn about the applicability and expediency of using the nuclear magnetic resonance method using a whole core in core analysis programs and obtaining filtration-volumetric characteristics of rocks.
KeywordsNuclear magnetic resonance Dolomites Whole core Porosity
The work is performed according to the Russian Government Program of Competitive Growth of Kazan Federal University.
- API RP 40, Recommended Practices for Core Analysis, second edition. 1998. Washington, DC: APIGoogle Scholar
- Coates, G.R., Xiao, L., Prammer, M.G. NMR Logging Principles and Applications. Houston: Hullibarton Energy Services, 1999. 335 p.Google Scholar
- Dunn, K.J., D.J. Bergman, and G.A. LaTorraca. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Petrophysical and Logging Applications. New York: Pergamon, 2002. 312 p.Google Scholar
- Dzhafarov, I.S., Syngaevskii, P.E., Khafizov, S.F. Application of the method of nuclear magnetic resonance to determine the structure and distribution of bed fluids. Moscow, 2002. 439 p. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Fattakhov, A.V., Kosarev, V.E., Shakirzyanov, R.A. Porosity evaluation of the “archival” full-size core using nuclear magnetic resonance. Conference Paper. Horizontal Wells 2017: Challenges and Opportunities; Kazan; Russian Federation; 15 - 19 May 2017. (in Russian). https://doi.org/10.3997/2214-4609.201700472
- Fattakhov, A.V., Kosarev, V.E., Skirda, V.D., Doroginitskii, M.M. Study of drying process in full-size core by nuclear magnetic resonance method. Neftyanoe khozyaystvo - Oil Industry, 2016, Issue 3, 61–63 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Kovalev, K.M., Grishin, P.A., Gabsiya, B.K., Kurochkin, A.D., Kolesnikov, M.V., Levchenko, A.S. Carbonate core: features, complexities, research prospects. 2017 SPE Russian Petroleum Technology Conference, 2017, SPE-187872-RU. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Mikhailov N.N., Polischuk V.I. Study of the statistical regularities of manifestation of scale effects in implex carbonate reservoirs. Open scientific journal Georesursi. Geoenergetica, geopolitica - Georesources, geoenergetics, geopolitics, 2014, №1, Issue 9. http://oilgasjournal.ru/vol_9/mikhailov.pdf (in Russian).
- Musin, K.M., Abdullin, T.R. Integrated full-size core analysis. Neftyanoe khozyaystvo - Oil Industry, 2012, Issue 9, 52–54 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Nurgaliev, D.K., Kosarev, V.E., Murzakaev, V.M, Tagirov, M.S., Skirda, V.D., Tyurin, V.F., Gizatullin, B.I. The nuclear magnetic resonance equipment for the research in laboratory and field conditions of full-sized core samples. Georesursy – Georesurces, 2012, № 4, Issue 46, 16–18 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Timur, A. Nuclear magnetic resonance study of carbonate rocks. SPWLA 13th Ann. Logging Symp., Tulsa, OK, 1972, May 7 - 10:15 pp.Google Scholar
- USSR State Committee for Standards and Product QUALITY MANAGEMENT. 26450.1-85 The Rocs. The method of opened porous coefficient determination by liquid saturation]. Moscow, 1985. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- GeoSpec manual. Core analysis. Oxford Instruments. https://www.oxford-instruments.com/OxfordInstruments/media/industrial-analysis/magnetic-resonance-pdfs [electronic resource]