Participatory Management for Rainwater Harvesting in Patan, Nepal
EUREKA Project STORAGE—Sustainable TOols for gRoundwater manAGEment optimisation and water scarcity mitigation, whose research serves like the base for our paper, deals with the water supply problems affecting local communities in the area of Thapa hiti and Tagal hiti, Patan, Nepal. The innovation of our research and piloting is in an implementation of managed aquifer recharge not only for a few local users within a square or a school. Instead, we have devised a rainwater infiltration system encompassing the whole local shallow aquifer, without being tied to a particular end-user. For this, strong participative management (i.e. involving local communities and interest groups) is needed, and the close cooperation with local residents is of high importance to initiate integrated water management at least on a local scale of several neighbouring communities.
KeywordsManaged aquifer recharge Participatory management Integrated water resource management Nepal
This chapter was written thanks to the project STORAGE (Sustainable TOols for gRoundwater manAGEment optimisation and water scarcity mitigation), financed by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, Czech Republic, and the company VODNÍ ZDROJE, a.s.
- Boukalova Z, Hrkal Z (2010) Solution of problems of groundwater quality and quantity in the region of Kathmandu (Nepal) on the basis of experience of Czech hydrogeologists in providing drinking water for Praha. City Hall Prague, CRGoogle Scholar
- Boukalova Z, Těšitel J, Hrkal Z, Kahuda D (2014) Artificial infiltration as integrated water resources management tool, water pollution XII; ISBN: 978-1-84564-776-6, eISBN: 978-1-84564-777-3, pp 201–210. Water Pollution conference 2014, the Algarve, PortugalGoogle Scholar
- Center Bureau of Statistics, Government of Nepal (2011) Major Highlights, NepalGoogle Scholar
- CISD—Center for Inclusive Social Development (2012) Water for Machindra Bahal community (Patan, Kathmandu, Nepal)Google Scholar
- GISIDC—Geographic Information System & Integrated Development Center, Ltd (2011) Integrated water resources management in Nepal—pilot project Water for Kathmandu, NepalGoogle Scholar
- UEMS (2012) Action research on “Implication of harvested rainwater in recharging shallow ground water (GW) aquifer and its quality”, NepalGoogle Scholar