Hybrid Industrial/Recycled SFRC: Experimental Analysis and Design
This paper is intended as a practice-oriented contribution about the use of sustainable Fiber-Reinforced Concrete (FRC) in the design of structural members according to the provisions of the current codes and guidelines. More specifically, the work focusses on Hybrid Industrial/Recycled Steel Fiber-Reinforced Concrete (HIRSFRC) realised by combining tailored Industrial Steel Fibers (ISFs) with Recycled Steel Fibers (RSFs), the latter being obtained by recycling waste pneumatic tyres. First, the results of a series of experimental tests, carried out for characterising the behaviour of the aforementioned materials, are summarised. They are specifically considered for evaluating the parameters that are generally considered for describing the post-cracking response of FRC. Then, a parametric analysis on the sectional behaviour of beams made of the aforementioned HIRSFRCs is proposed: this is intended at highlighting the influence of the material behaviour on the ultimate bending moment and curvature of structural members.
KeywordsHybrid-FRC Fracture Recycled Steel Fibers Waste tyres Constitutive Laws Structural design
The work proposed in this paper stems out of the activities of the SUPERCONCRETE Project (H2020-MSCA-RISE-2014, n. 645704): the Authors wish to acknowledge the financial contribution of the Europ. Union as part of the H2020 Programme.
- ACI-544.1-96 (1996) State-of-the-art report on fiber reinforced concrete. Reported by ACI Committee 544, American Concrete InstituteGoogle Scholar
- CNR DT 204 (2006) Guidelines for design, construction and production control of fiber reinforced concrete structures. Nat Research Council of ItalyGoogle Scholar
- D.M. 9-1-1996 (1996) Norme tecniche per il calcolo, l’esecuzione ed il collaudo delle strutture in cemento armato, normale e precompresso e per le strutture metallicheGoogle Scholar
- EN-12390-3 (2009) Testing hardened concrete. Part 3: compressive strength of test specimens. BSIGoogle Scholar
- EN 1992-1-1 (2004) Design of concrete structures - Part 1-1: general rules and rules for buildings. Eurocode 2Google Scholar
- EU-Directive 1999/31/EC of the council of 26 April 1999 on the landfill of waste. Off J Eur Union L182:1–19Google Scholar
- Tchobanoglous G, Kreith F (2002) Handbook of solid waste management. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- UNI-11039-1 (2003) Steel fibre reinforced concrete – definitions, classification and designation. UNI Editions, Milan, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- UNI-11039-2 (2003) Steel fibre reinforced concrete – test method to determine the first crack strength and ductility indexes. UNI Editions, Milan, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- UNI-EN-12620 (2002) Aggregates for concrete. Volume Ref. No. EN 12620:2002 E. European Committee for Standardization, BrusselsGoogle Scholar