Experimental Investigation on the Seismic Behaviour of a New Pier-to-Deck Connection for Steel Concrete Composite Bridges
Nowadays, short-medium span steel-concrete composite I-girder bridges (SCC) are very popular, owing to their short construction time and reduced costs. Their limited weight makes their use adequate also for seismic areas, even though their seismic behaviour has not been yet adequately investigated. With this aim, within the European project (SEQBRI), the seismic behaviour of new pier-to-deck connections entailing the use of concrete cross-beams (CCB) has been recently studied. This paper shows the results of a comprehensive experimental investigation on this kind of connections conducted with the aim of characterizing the hysteretic behaviour and calibrating a component-based model for seismic analysis. Three different type of connection have been tested: one designed according to the standard DIN-FB104, generally utilized for gravity loads only, and other two, proposed for bridges located in low and medium intensity seismic prone areas. Based on different resistant mechanism, these latter have demonstrated a good behaviour in terms of strength and ductility.
KeywordsSteel-concrete bridges Concrete cross beam Experimental tests
This work was carried out with a financial grant from the Research Fund for Coal and Steel of the European Community, within the SEQBRI project: “Performance-Based Earthquake Engineering Analysis of Short- Medium Span Steel-Concrete Composite Bridges”, Grant RFSR-CT-2012-00032.
- DIN-Fachbericht 104 (2009) Verbundbrücken. Berlin: Beuth VerlagGoogle Scholar
- ECCS (1986) Recommended Testing Procedure for Assessing the Behaviour of Structural Elements under Cyclic Loads. Technical Committee 1 – Structural Safety and LoadingGoogle Scholar
- EN 1998 (2004) Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistanceGoogle Scholar
- Paolacci F, Giannini R, Malena M, Alessandri S, Paglini A (2014). Toward a performance-based earthquake engineering analysis of short-medium span steel-concrete composite bridges. 2ECEE. 2nd European conference on earthquake engineering and seismology. Istanbul, 25–29 August 2014Google Scholar
- SAP2000. Structural Analysis Program ©. 1976–2014 Computer & Structures, IncGoogle Scholar
- Shim CS, Lee PG, Yoon TY (2004) Static behavior of large stud shear connectors. Eng Struct 26(18):53–60Google Scholar
- Viest IM (1956) Investigation of Stud Shear Connectors for Composite Concrete and Steel T-Beams. J Am Concr Inst 27(8):875–891Google Scholar