Impact Investing Innovation: Bringing Together Public, Private and Third Sectors to Create Greater Value: The Case of the Public Private Partnership Initiative for the New Public Hospital of Treviso
- 666 Downloads
This chapter documents the first pilot project integrating the social impact investing dimension in a large infrastructure project: the project finance for the upgrande and extension of the public hospital in Treviso (Northern Italy). The case study is a compelling example of ‘Shared Value’ highlighting the potential and limits of the theoretical framework developed by Porter and Kramer (Harvard Business Review, 89(1–2), 62–77, 2011).
KeywordsImpact investing Shared value Public-private partnership
- Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, Directorate-General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, Innovation, D. F., A., Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy, & Europa, I. (2017, October 23). Vision and trends of social innovation for Europe. Retrieved from https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/a97a2fbd-b7da-11e7-837e-01aa75ed71a1/language-en.
- European Commission. (2016, September 14). State of the union 2016: Strengthening European investments for jobs and growth. Towards a second phase of the European Fund for Strategic Investments and a new European External Investment Plan. COM(2016) 581. Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A52016DC0581.
- European Commission, & High-Level Expert Group on Sustainable Finance Secretariat Provided by the European Commission. (2017, July). Financing a sustainable European economy. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/170713-sustainable-finance-report_en.pdf.
- Evenett, R., & Richter, K. H. (2011, October). Making good in social impact investment. Retrieved from http://www.bing.com/cr?IG=64999745FECA4E669D367D2AAA2A5B6B&CID=229A7C96E5FC671E283B77CFE45366EA&rd=1&h=l8-0467nDeS5B7KR2OQMy1nJOD7xnAIFo_030KUKgzA&v=1&r=http%3a%2f%2fwww.engagedx.com%2fdownloads%2fMaking_Good_In_Social_Impact_Investment.pdf&p=DevEx,5065.1.
- Fukuyama, F. (2015). Political order and political decay: From the industrial revolution to the globalisation of democracy. London: Profile Books.Google Scholar
- Growth Capital Ventures. (2017). Investing in breakthrough corporate venture capital. Retrieved from https://info.growthfunders.com/investing-in-breakthrough-corporate-venture-capital-volans.
- HUB – Human Ecosystems Bologna. (2015). Human ecosystem bologna report. Retrieved from http://dati.comune.bologna.it/file/hub-report_eng.pdf.
- Independent Dormant Asset Commission, Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, HMRC. (2017, March). Dormant assets commission: Final report to government tackling dormant assets recommendations to benefit investors and society. Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dormant-assets-commission-final-report-to-government.
- Lendlease. (2016, February). GRMRs global minimum requirements – Environment, health & safety. Lendlease. Retrieved from https://www.lendlease.com/-/media/llcom/investor-relations/governance/2015-global-minimum-requirements-framework.ashx.
- Lipparini, F., Phillips, S., Addarii, F., & Johar, I. (2015, March). From good to growth: Promoting social investment and public good to stimulate the European economy. Retrieved from https://youngfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/From-good-to-growth.pdf.
- Mazzucato, M. (2013). The entrepreneurial state: Debunking public vs. private sector myths. London: Anthem Press.Google Scholar
- Olson, M. (1965). The logic of collective action: Public goods and the theory of groups. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Pasi, G. (2017, June). Modelli di Risposta ai Nuovi Bisogni Sociali e Possibili Scenari di Riforma. Retrieved from http://www.socialimpactagenda.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Modelli-di-risposta-ai-nuovi-bisogni-sociali-e-possibili-scenari-di-riforma_def.pdf.
- Porter, M. E., & Kramer, M. R. (2011). The big idea: Creating shared value – How to reinvent capitalism and unleash a wave of innovation and growth. Harvard Business Review, 89(1–2), 62–77.Google Scholar
- Putnam, R. D., Leonardi, R., & Nanetti, R. Y. (1994). Making democracy work: Civic traditions in modern Italy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Santarelli, M., & European Investment Bank (EIB). (2017, July 25). Italy: Juncker plan – EIB finances better healthcare in the Veneto Region. Retrieved from http://www.eib.org/infocentre/press/releases/all/2017/2017-215-juncker-plan-eib-finances-better-healthcare-in-the-veneto-region.htm.
- Social Impact Investment Taskforce. (2014, September 15). Impact investment: The invisible heart of markets. Harnessing the power of entrepreneurship, innovation and capital for public good. Retrieved from http://www.socialimpactinvestment.org/reports/Impact%20Investment%20Report%20FINAL%5B3%5D.pdf.
- Social Value UK. (2012). A guide to social return on investment. Retrieved from http://www.socialvalueuk.org/resources/sroi-guide/.
- Vecchi, V., & Leone, V. (2016). Partnership pubblico privato: Una guida manageriale, finanziaria e giuridica. Milano: Egea.Google Scholar
- Vecchi, V., Balbo, L., Brusoni, M., & Caselli, S. (2015). Principles and practice of impact investing (1st ed.pp. 275–293). Palgrave Macmillan US.Google Scholar
- Venturi, P., & Zandonai, F. (2014). Ibridi organizzativi: L’innovazione sociale generata dal Gruppo cooperativo Cgm. Bologna: Il Mulino.Google Scholar
- Wolanski, F. D. (2017, June 17). Nuovo ospedale di Treviso: Zaia posa la prima pietra – Cronaca. Retrieved from http://tribunatreviso.gelocal.it/treviso/cronaca/2017/06/16/news/apre-il-cantiere-300-park-gia-per-aprile-1.15499561.
- Young, L. (2014). Social value act review report to government. Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/403748/Social_Value_Act_review_report_150212.pdf.