Social Risk and Financial Returns: Evidences from Social Impact Bonds
- 663 Downloads
This chapter provides an empirical insight into factors characterizing social risk of social impact bonds (SIBs) and explores the correlation between social risk and financial return. In order to achieve this research aim, the methodology is organized in three different steps: (1) step one includes the implementation of a scoring model for SIB social risk; (2) step two involves data collection and the measurement of social risk scoring components; and (3) the last step tests for a correlation between social risk and financial returns of SIBs. The sample is composed of 34 SIBs that share information publically. Empirical findings show that most SIBs have a medium score of social risk, while social risk and financial return are not significantly correlated.
KeywordsSocial impact bonds Social impact investments Social risk Financial return of SIBs
- Arena, M., Azzone, G., Bengo, I., & Calderini, M. (2015). Measuring social impact: The governance issue. IRIS Network. Retrieved from http://irisnetwork.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/colloquio15-arena-azzone-bengo-calderini.pdf.
- Brandstetter, L., & Lehner, O. M. (2014). Impact investment portfolios: Including social risks and returns. Retrieved from https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2519671.
- Burand, D. (2014). Globalizing social finance: How social impact bonds and social impact performance guarantees can scale development. New York University Journal of Law and Business, 9, 447.Google Scholar
- Clifford, J., & Jung, T. (2016). Social impact bonds: Exploring and understanding an emerging funding approach. In O. M. Lehner (Ed.), Routledge handbook of social and sustainable finance. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Daggers, J., & Nicholls, A. (2016). The status quo and future research. In Lehner O. M. (2016). Routledge Handbook of Social and Sustainable Finance. Routledge.Google Scholar
- Dear, A., Helbitz, A., Khare, R., Lotan, R., Newman, J., Sims, G. C., et al. (2016). Social impact bonds: The early years. Social Finance, July. Retrieved from http://socialfinance.org/content/uploads/2016/07/SIBs-Early-Years_Social-Finance_2016_Final.pdf.
- Del Giudice, A. (2015). I social impact bond. Milan: Franco Angeli.Google Scholar
- Disley, E., & Rubin, J. (2014). Phase 2 report from the payment by results social impact bond pilot at HMP peterborough. Ministry of Justice Analytical Series. London: Rand Europe.Google Scholar
- Disley, E., Giacomantonio, C., Kruithof, K., & Sim, M. (2016). The payment by results social impact bond pilot at HMP Peterborough: Final process evaluation report. Ministry of Justice (UK). Retrieved from www.justice.gov.uk/publications/research-and-analysis/moj.Google Scholar
- Fraser, A., Tan, S., Lagarde, M., & Mays, N. (2016). Narratives of promise, narratives of caution: A review of the literature on Social Impact Bonds. Social Policy & Administration. https://doi.org/10.1111/spol.12260.
- Goodall, E. (2014). Choosing social impact bonds: A practitioner’s guide. London: Bridges Ventures. Retrieved from https://www.bigsocietycapital.com/sites/default/files/attachments/Choosing%20social%20impact%20bonds%20Bridges%20report.pdf.
- Gustafsson-Wright, E., Gardiner, S., & Putcha, V. (2015). The potential and limitations of impact bonds: Lessons from the first five years of experience worldwide. Global Economy and Development at Brookings. Retrieved from https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Impact-Bondsweb.pdf.
- Lehner, O. M. (Ed.). (2016). Routledge handbook of social and sustainable finance. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Liebman, J. B. (2011). Social impact bonds: A promising new financing model to accelerate social innovation and improve government performance. Center for American Progress, 9. Retrieved from https://cdn.americanprogress.org/wpcontent/uploads/issues/2011/02/pdf/social_impact_bonds.pdf.
- O’Donohoe, N., Leijonhufvud, C., Saltuk, Y., Bugg-Levine, A., & Brandenburg, M. (2010, November 29). Impact investments: An emerging asset class. JP Morgan Global Research. Research Note. Retrieved from https://thegiin.org/assets/documents/Impact%20Investments%20an%20Emerging%20Asset%20Class2.pdf.
- Rizzello, A., & Carè, R. (2016). Insight into the social impact bond market: An analysis of investors. ACRN Oxford Journal of Finance and Risk Perspective, 5(3), 145–171.Google Scholar
- Scognamiglio, E. (2017). The evaluation of social risk in the social impact investing. University of Naples Federico II, PhD Thesis.Google Scholar
- Serrano-Cinca, C., Gutiérrez-Nieto, B., & Reyes, N. M. (2013). A social approach to microfinance credit scoring. Working Papers CEB, 13.Google Scholar