The Behavior and Network Position of Peer Production Founders
Online peer production projects, such as Wikipedia and open-source software, have become important producers of cultural and technological goods. While much research has been done on the way that large existing projects work, little is known about how projects get started or who starts them. Nor is it clear how much influence founders have on the future trajectory of a community. We measure the behavior and social networks of 60,959 users on Wikia.com over a two month period. We compare the activity, local network positions, and global network positions of future founders and non-founders. We then explore the relationship between these measures and the relative growth of a founder’s wikis. We suggest hypotheses for future research based on this exploratory analysis.
This work was supported by the Army Research Office (W911NF-14-10686) and the NSF (IIS-1617468, IIS-1617129). The authors also wish to thank the iConference reviewers for their very helpful comments.
- 1.Benkler, Y.: The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom. Yale University Press, New Haven (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Raymond, E.S.: The Cathedral & the Bazaar: Musings on Linux and Open Source by an Accidental Revolutionary. O’Reilly Media Inc., Sebastopol (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhao, H., Seibert, S.E., Lumpkin, G.: The relationship of personality to entrepreneurial intentions and performance: a meta-analytic review. J. Manag. 36(2), 381–404 (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Benkler, Y.: Peer production and cooperation. In: Bauer, J.M., Latzer, M. (eds.) Handbook on the Economics of the Internet. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.Welser, H.T., Cosley, D., Kossinets, G., Lin, A., Dokshin, F., Gay, G., Smith, M.: Finding social roles in Wikipedia. In: Proceedings of the 2011 iConference, iConference 2011, pp. 122–129. ACM, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 18.Zhu, H., Kraut, R., Kittur, A.: Effectiveness of shared leadership in online communities. In: Proceedings of the ACM 2012 Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, CSCW 2012, pp. 407–416. ACM, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.Foote, J., Gergle, D., Shaw, A.: Starting online communities: motivations and goals of wiki founders. In: Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2017), pp. 6376–6380. ACM, New York (2017)Google Scholar
- 20.Kraut, R.E., Fiore, A.T.: The role of founders in building online groups. In: Proceedings of the 17th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing, CSCW 2014, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, pp. 722–732. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 22.Wasserman, S., Faust, K.: Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1994)Google Scholar