MoDeS3: Model-Based Demonstrator for Smart and Safe Cyber-Physical Systems
We present MoDeS3, a complex research demonstrator illustrating the combined use of model-driven development, formal verification, safety engineering and IoT technologies for smart and safe cyber-physical systems. MoDeS3 represents a smart transportation system-of-systems composed of a model railway and a crane which may automatically load and unload cargo from trains where both subsystems need to fulfill functional and safety requirements. The demonstrator is built by using the model-based software engineering principle, while the system level safety is ensured by the combined use of design-time and runtime verification and validation techniques.
KeywordsSmart cyber-physical systems Model-driven engineering Formal methods Education Demonstrator
MoDeS3 is a joint effort of many participants. It was partially supported by MTA-BME Lendület Research Group on Cyber-Physical Systems the ARTEMIS JU R5-COP project and the NSERC RGPIN-04573-16 project. MoDeS3 also received financial and technical support from our industrial partners: IncQuery Labs Ltd., Quanopt Ltd., Ericsson Hungary and Miniversum. The TITAN Xp used for this research was donated by the NVIDIA Corporation. Colleagues at Dept. of Measurement and Information Systems (BME) worked on the project beside the authors: István Majzik, Gábor Szárnyas, and Oszkár Semeráth. We also thank the hard work of our students: Flórán Deé, Márton Elekes, Anna Gujgiczer, Bence Graics, Raimund Konnerth, Gergő Somos, and Sámuel Várallyay.
- 1.Balogh, L., et al.: Distributed and heterogeneous event-based monitoring in smart cyber-physical systems. In: MT CPS Workshop (CPS Week 2016) (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Behrmann, G., et al.: UPPAAL 4.0. In: Third International Conference on the Quantitative Evaluation of Systems, pp. 125–126. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Búr, M., et al.: Distributed graph queries for runtime monitoring of cyber-physical systems. In: International Conference on Fundamental Approaches to Software Engineering (2018, accepted)Google Scholar
- 5.Dávid, I., Ráth, I., Varró, D.: Foundations for streaming model transformations by complex event processing. Softw. Syst. Model. 17(1), 1–28 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Dubey, A., et al.: Resilience at the edge in cyber-physical systems. In: FMEC, pp. 139–146, May 2017Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, E.A.: Cyber physical systems: design challenges. In: 11th IEEE International Symposium on Object Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing, pp. 363–369 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Molnár, V., et al.: The gamma statechart composition framework. In: ICSE 2018: Demonstrations (2018, accepted)Google Scholar
- 14.Tóth, T., Vörös, A.: Verification of a real-time safety-critical protocol using a modelling language with formal data and behaviour semantics. In: Bondavalli, A., Ceccarelli, A., Ortmeier, F. (eds.) SAFECOMP 2014. LNCS, vol. 8696, pp. 207–218. Springer, Cham (2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-10557-4_24 Google Scholar