Europe’s Great Powers and Small States
This chapter identifies a hierarchy among European states’ ability to influence geopolitical interactions within the East European security complex. The Franco-German axis will likely acquire unprecedented influence by taking control of the European Union. If—or rather when—both the axis and the Union decline, Germany will become the prime West European actor. Post-communist EU members as well as the CIS republics will try to use US and British support in order to avoid joining Berlin’s or Moscow’s spheres of influence. Moreover, they will have to deal with major domestic challenges related to the rise of populist nationalism and to the ensuing development of authoritarian regimes sharing neoclassical geopolitical views.
KeywordsEastern Europe Franco-German axis Germany France UK Visegrad group
- Adler, Emanuel, and Patricia Greve. 2009. When Security Community Meets Balance of Power: Overlapping Regional Mechanisms of Security Governance. Review of International Studies 35 (S1): 59–84.Google Scholar
- Bassets, Marc. 2017. Macron lidera la respuesta a Trump y refuerza su influencia internacional. El País, June 2. http://internacional.elpais.com/internacional/2017/06/02/actualidad/1496425108_395332.html.
- Beck, Ulrich. 2013. German Europe. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Berman, Ilan. 2017. Prague’s Eastward Turn. U.S. News, October 10. https://www.usnews.com/opinion/world-report/articles/2017-10-10/prague-is-cozying-up-to-russia-and-vladimir-putin.
- Böttcher, Barbara, and Eva Schmithausen. 2014. A Future in the EU? Reconciling the “Brexit” Debate with a More Modern EU. EU Monitor, Deutsche Bank Research, September 15. http://www.dbresearch.fr/PROD/DBR_INTERNET_EN-PROD/PROD0000000000341324.PDF.
- Bugajski, Janusz. 2007. The Eastern Dimension of America’s New European Allies. Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute.Google Scholar
- Charillon, Frédéric, and Reuben Wong. 2011. France. Europeanization by Default? In National and European Foreign Policies: Towards Europeanization, ed. Reuben Wong and Christopher Hill, 19–34. Abingdon Oxon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Drake, Matt. 2017. Desperate Emmanuel Macron Attempts to Cosy Up to Russia and Turkey in ECHR Address. Express, November 1. https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/873874/France-EU-Russia-Macron-European-Union-ECHR-terror-laws-Human-Rights-Act-Turkey.
- Eristavi, Maxim. 2017. It’s Time for the West to Get Tough on Ukraine. The Washington Post, December 7. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2017/12/07/its-time-for-the-west-to-get-tough-on-ukraine/?utm_term=.a3ab49b29fdf.
- Gove, Michael. 2017. Donald Trump Interview: Brexit Will Be a Great Thing. The Sunday Times, January 15. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/donald-trump-interview-brexit-britain-trade-deal-europe-queen-5m0bc2tns.
- Haaland Matlary, Janne, and Tormod Heier (eds.). 2016. Ukraine and Beyond. Russia’s Strategic Security Challenge to Europe. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Harnden, Toby. 2017. Now for the Real Deal. The Sunday Times, January 22. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/president-trump/now-for-the-real-deal-vp2rcd2sq.
- Kanet, Roger E., and Matthew Sussex. 2015. Introduction: Russia, Eurasia and the New Geopolitics of Energy. In Russia, Eurasia and the New Geopolitics of Energy. Confrontation and Consolidation, ed. Matthew Sussex and Roger E. Kanet, 1–15. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Kirby, Will. 2017. Boris Goes Boating! Foreign Minister Takes to the Water as He Meets with Eastern EU Allies. Sunday Express, October 15. http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/866792/boris-johnson-boat-rowing-lake-cheveney-house-eu-eastern-europe-brexit-brussels-summit.
- Krekó, Péter, and Lóránt Győri. 2017. Hungary: A State Captured by Russia. Heinrich Böll Stiftung, October 11. https://www.boell.de/en/2017/10/11/hungary-state-captured-russia.
- Lain, Sarah. 2017. Russia-UK Relations Post-Brexit: Opportunity or Dead End? Carnegie Moscow Center, October 13. http://carnegie.ru/commentary/73386.
- Larrabee, F. Stephen. 2010. Russia, Ukraine, and Central Europe: The Return of Geopolitics. Journal of International Affairs 63 (2): 33–52.Google Scholar
- Larrabee, F. Stephen, Stephanie Pezard, Andrew Radin, Nathan Chandler, Keith Crane, and Thomas S. Szayna. 2017. Russia and the West After the Ukrainian Crisis, RAND. https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1305.html.
- Leonard, Mark, and Nicu Popescu. 2007. A Power Audit of EU-Russia Relations. The European Council on Foreign Relations, November 7. http://ecfr.eu/page/-/ECFR-02_A_POWER_AUDIT_OF_EU-RUSSIA_RELATIONS.pdf.
- Lindley-French, Julian. 2016. Could Britain Respond Strategically to Russian Aggression? In Ukraine and Beyond. Russia’s Strategic Security Challenge to Europe, ed. Janne Haaland Matlary and Tormod Heier, 101–127. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Lo, Bobo. 2015. Russia and the New World Disorder. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press.Google Scholar
- MacShane, Denis. 2015. The Strange Silence Over Brexit. Open Democracy, April 9. https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/denis-macshane/strange-silence-over-brexit.
- McNamara, Tim. 2014a. What Would Brexit Look like? (Part 1). Policy Review, December. http://www.policyreview.eu/what-would-brexit-look-like-part-1/.
- McNamara, Tim. 2014b. On the Outside Looking In: Brexit (Part 2). Policy Review, December. http://www.policyreview.eu/on-the-outside-looking-in-brexit-part-2/.
- Murinson, Alexander. 2017. With Russia Strengthening Its Alliance with Armenia, It’s Time to Cut Off Foreign Aid to Armenia. The Washington Examiner, November 18. http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/with-russia-strengthening-its-alliance-with-armenia-its-time-to-cut-off-foreign-aid-to-armenia/article/2622549.
- Nougayrède, Natalie. 2017. France’s Gamble: As America Retreats, Macron Steps Up. Foreign Affairs 96 (5): 2–8.Google Scholar
- Oliver, Tim L. 2013. Europe Without Britain. Assessing the Impact on the European Union of a British Withdrawal. Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik Research Paper RP 07, Berlin, September. https://www.swp-berlin.org/fileadmin/contents/products/research_papers/2013_RP07_olv.pdf.
- Østerud, Øyvind. 2016. Strategic Ability in Europe: The Case of France. In Ukraine and Beyond. Russia’s Strategic Security Challenge to Europe, ed. Janne Haaland Matlary and Tormod Heier, 129–146. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Pifer, Steven. 2017. How Ukraine Views Russia and the West. The Brookings Institution, October 18. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2017/10/18/how-ukraine-views-russia-and-the-west/.
- Popescu, Nicu. 2014. Eurasian Union: The Real, the Imaginary and the Likely. Chaillot Paper 132, September. Paris: EU Institute for Security Studies.Google Scholar
- Puddington, Arch. 2017. Breaking Down Democracy: Goals, Strategies, and Methods of Modern Authoritarians. Freedom House, June. https://freedomhouse.org/report/special-reports/breaking-down-democracy-goals-strategies-and-methods-modern-authoritarians.
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. 2016. Hollande: Russia Is a Partner, Not a Threat, July 8. http://www.rferl.org/content/hollande-russia-is-a-partner-not-a-threat/27847690.html.
- Rogers, Jon. 2017. Juncker Swoops on Visegrad Nations to Halt EU Split After Weekend with Boris. Sunday Express, October 18. http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/867943/EU-Jean-Claude-Juncker-Visegrad-Group-Boris-Johnson-European-Union.
- Sakwa, Richard. 2015a. Eurasian Integration: A Project for the 21st Century? In The Eurasian Project and Europe. Regional Discontinuities and Geopolitics, ed. David Lane, and Vsevolod Samokhvalov, 53–71. Houndmills, Basingstoke, and Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Sakwa, Richard. 2015b. Russian Neo-Revisionism and Dilemmas of Eurasian Integration. In Power, Politics and Confrontation in Eurasia: Foreign Policy in a Contested Area, ed. Roger E. Kanet, and Matthew Sussex, 111–134. Houndmills, Basingstoke, and Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Shotter, James, and Anne-Sylvaine Chassany. 2017. France and Poland Trade Barbs Over EU Labour Reform. Financial Times, August 25. https://www.ft.com/content/4d21c952-8980-11e7-8bb1-5ba57d47eff7.
- The Economist. June 3, 2017. Donald Trump Makes It Hard for Europeans to Keep Their Cool. http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21722882-week-sniping-between-germany-and-america-shows-cost-responding-provocations-donald.
- The Economist. July 8, 2017. Germany is Not the New Leader of the Free World. https://www.economist.com/news/europe/21724832-angela-merkel-may-sound-tough-donald-trump-her-country-still-depends-america-germany.
- The Economist. November 4, 2017. Less Euromaidan, More Gamergate. https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21730870-economy-based-attention-easily-gamed-once-considered-boon-democracy-social-media.
- The Economist. November 16, 2017. Can Germany Take the Strain? https://www.economist.com/news/europe/21731403-american-retreat-and-european-disunity-are-forcing-germany-rethink-its-role-charting-new.
- Theil, Stefan. 2017. Berlin’s Balancing Act: Merkel Needs Trump—But also Needs to Keep Her Distance. Foreign Affairs 96 (5): 9–16.Google Scholar
- Torbakov, Igor. 2010. Russia and Turkish-Armenian Normalization: Competing Interests in the South Caucasus. Insight Turkey 12 (2): 31–39.Google Scholar