Modeling Geomechanical Processes in Oil and Gas Reservoirs at the True Triaxial Loading Apparatus
The paper presents the results of the investigation of the strain-strength properties of rocks (dolomites) raised from a depth of more than 6 km of the exploration well of the Kainsayskaya Field. The experiments were carried out on a unique experimental setup – the Triaxial Independent Load Test System of IPMech RAS on cubic specimens with an edge of 40 mm. Two triaxial tests were performed on two specimens showing the presence of strong strength anisotropy of the rock. A physical simulation of the pressure reduction process in deep wells near an open borehole and the tip of a perforation hole was performed on three specimens. The conducted studies have revealed a rather low strength of the studied rocks, despite the great depths of their lying under the conditions of high rock pressure. They have shown that the beginning of the rock destruction depends vastly on the type of stress state arising in the formation. Carrying out physical modeling of geomechanical processes in oil and gas reservoirs using true triaxial loading is of great importance from the point of view of justifying methods of influence on deep-lying strata in order to increase the productivity of wells, as well as reduce risks of well destruction during their drilling and operation.
KeywordsDeep deposits Rock Borehole Test apparatus Deformations Stresses Strength Elastic modules
The work was done under financial support of Russian Science Foundation, project No. 16-11-10325.
- 1.Varshavskaya, I.E., Volozh, Yu.A., Dmitrievskii, A.N., Leonov, Yu.G., Miletenko, N.V., Fedonkin, M.A.: A new concept of developing hydrocarbon resources. Herald Russian Acad. Sci. 82(1), 17–26 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Volkova, A.Yu., Gouzenkov, I.K., Karev, V.I.: The development of deep-seated deposits as an opportunity to expand the resource base of hydrocarbons. Process. GeoMedia 1, 21–31 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Karev, V.I., Kovalenko, Yu.F.: Well stimulation on the basis of preliminary triaxial tests of reservoir rock. In: Proceedings of EUROCK (The ISRM International Symposium), Rock Mechanics for Resources, Energy and Environment, pp. 935–940. CRC Press/Balkema, Leiden (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Coulomb, C.A.: Essai sur une application des règles des maximis et minimis à quelques problèmes de statique relatifs, à l’architecture. Mem. Acad. Roy. Div. Sav. 7, 343–387 (1776)Google Scholar
- 7.Karev, V.I., Klimov, D.M., Kovalenko, Yu.F, Ustinov, K.B.: Fracture model of anisotropic rocks under complex loading. Phys. Mesomech. 19(6), 34–40 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Klimov, D.M., Ter-Sarkisov, R.M., Chigai, S.E., Kovalenko, Yu.F, Ryzhov, A.E.: Determination of the strength characteristics of the rocks of the Shtokman gas condensate field and assessment of the risks of sand removal during its development. Gazovaya Promyshlennost 11, 57–60 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Klimov, D.M., Karev, V.I., Kovalenko, Yu.F, Sidorin, Yu.V: Deformation strength and filtration properties of rocks from deep horizons under the conditions of true triaxial loading. Process. GeoMedia 4(9), 327–332 (2016)Google Scholar