Zero-Overhead Monitoring of Remote Terminal Devices
This paper presents a method of delivering diagnostic information from data acquisition terminals via legacy low-throughput transmission system with no overhead. The solution was successfully implemented in an intrinsically safe RFID system for contactless identification of people and objects developed for coal mines in the end of 1990s. First, the goals and main characteristics of the application system are described, with references to underlying technologies. Then transmission system and the idea of diagnostic solution is presented. Due to confidentiality reasons some technical and business details have been omitted.
KeywordsAutomatic identification Safety monitoring RFID TRIZ
Author gratefully acknowledges Rafał Gutkowski, ex-President of Citycom Polska for his kind permission for adapting some materials created during GNOM project for the purpose of this paper.
- 1.Dodd, H., Stanier, B.J.: Programmable transponder, WO Patent Application, PCT/GB1989/001,391, 1990/05/31Google Scholar
- 2.Dodd, H., Stanier, B.J.: Access control equipment and method for using the same, US Patent 5,339,073, 1994/08/16Google Scholar
- 3.DUST 3964R protocol description. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/3964R (in German). Accessed 26 April 2017
- 4.Chrząszcz, J.: Software speeds 8051 RS-232C receiver. (Design Idea 2125), EDN, 1997/12/04, 130Google Scholar
- 5.Chrząszcz, J.: Scheme speeds access to uP’s real-time clock. (Design Idea 2187), EDN, 1998/06/04, 118Google Scholar
- 6.Chrząszcz, J.: Circuit translates TTY current loop to RS-232C. (Design Idea 2230), EDN, 1998/08/03, 120Google Scholar
- 7.Chrząszcz, J.: Use 8051’s power-down mode to the fullest. (Design Idea 2557), EDN, 2000/07/06, 138Google Scholar
- 8.Chrząszcz, J.: PC monitors two-way RS-232 transmission. (Design Idea 2661), EDN, 2001/02/01, 126Google Scholar
- 9.Chrząszcz, J.: Method for monitoring terminal devices in distributed measurement and control systems. PL Patent Application P-384040, 2007/12/14 (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 10.Gadd, K.: TRIZ for Engineers: Enabling Inventive Problem Solving, Wiley (2011). ISBN: 9780470741887Google Scholar