Violations of ethics rules, regulations, and statutes may lead to actions involving one’s license and the ability to practice as a licensed social worker. This chapter reviews common bases for actions by licensing boards, the process generally utilized, and the range of penalties that may be imposed.
- Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners. (2017). Disciplinary actions. http://socialwork.alabama.gov/discipline.aspx. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Association of Social Work Boards. (2011). Guidebook for social work disciplinary actions. https://www.aswb.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ASWBDisciplinaryGuidebook.pdf. Accessed 07 April 2017.
- Birmingham, J., Berry, M., & Bussey, M. (1996). Certification for child protective services staff members: The Texas initiative. Child Welfare, 75(6), 727–740.Google Scholar
- Cavazos, A. (2001). Baccalaureate social work licensure: Its effects on salary and use of job titles. Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work, 6(2), 69–80.Google Scholar
- Cohen, M. B., & Deri, R. (1992). The dilemma of “grandparenting” in state licensure: Confronting the training needs of nondegreed workers. Social Work, 37(2), 155–158.Google Scholar
- Hardcastle, D. A. (1977). Public regulation of social work. Social Work, 22(1), 14–20.Google Scholar
- Lawlor, J. (2016a). Portland socialworker accused of sexwith a patient to suspend his practice. Press Herald, July 18. https://www.pressherald.com/2016/07/18/licensing-board-reaches-approves-consent-agreement-with-portland-social-worker/. Accessed 01 May 2018.
- Lawlor, J. (2016b). Social worker pleads not guilty to accusation of having sex with a client. Press Herald, September 7. https://www.pressherald.com/2016/09/07/social-worker-pleads-not-guilty-to-accusations-of-havin-gsex-with-a-client/. Accessed 01 May 2018.
- Lawlor, J., & Byrne, M. (2016, July 12). Portland social worker practiced for months after complaint of sexual relations with client. Portland Press Herald. http://www.pressherald.com2016/07/12/portland-social-worker-practiced-fr-months-after-complaint-of-sexual-relations-with-client/. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Michigan Department of Community Health. (2006a). Cutlerville social worker has license summarily suspended, October 3. http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-73970_71692_8347-152753--,00.html. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Michigan Department of Community Health. (2006b). Social worker’s license summarily suspended, November 6. http://www.michigan.gov/som/0,4669,7-192-26847-155656--,00.html. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. (2013). Romulus social worker summarily suspended, September 12. http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-10573_11472-312324--,00.html. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- National Association of Social Workers. (1995). Study cites most-reported ethics breaches. NASW News, 40(4), 4.Google Scholar
- National Association of Social Workers. (1996, 2008). Code of ethics. http://www.socialworkers.org/pubs/Code/code.asp. Accessed 07 April 2017.
- New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions. (2014). Summaries of Regents actions on professional misconduct and discipline, January. http://www.op.nysed.gov/opd/January2014.htm. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Oregon State Board of Licensed Social Workers. (2016). Disciplinary action report, August 2. http://www.oregon.gov/blsw/Documents/OREGON%20BLSW%20DISCIPLINARY%20ACTION%20REPORT%20%20UPDATED%2008.02.2016.pdf. Accessed 17 April 2017.
- Parsons, R. (2014, 29 October). Merced social worker charged with child molestation. Merced Sun-Star. http://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/local/crime/article3464137.html. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Reamer, F. G. (1995). Malpractice claims against social workers: First facts. Social Work, 40(5), 595–601.Google Scholar
- Reamer, F. G. (2015). Ethical misconduct and negligence in social work. Social Work Today, 15(5), 20. http://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/090915p20.shtml. Accessed 26 March 2017.Google Scholar
- Texas Department of State Health Services, Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners Enforcement Actions. (2017, January 24). Final disciplinary actions—License denial, surrender, revocation. http://www.dshs.texas.gov/socialwork/sw_cmp.shtm. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Therolf, G. (2016a, June 2). Ruling suspends the social worker license for a man charged in an 8-year-old boy’s death. Los Angeles Times. http://latimes.com/local/lanow/ls-me-ln-social-worker-criminal-charges-20160602-snap-story.html. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Therolf, G. (2016b, April 7). Social workers charged with child abuse in case involving torture and killing of Gabriel Fernandez, 8. Los Angeles Times. http://latimes.com/local/lanow/ls-me-ln-social-workers-charged-gabriel-fernandez-torture-20160407-story-html. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Fiore v. Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs, State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors, No. 641 C.D., Unpub. LEXIS 460 (Pa. 2011), appeal denied, Commonwealth v. Fiore, LEXIS 978 (Pa. 2012).Google Scholar
- Matter of Licensure of Penny v. State of Wyoming, 120 P.3d 152 (Wyo. S. Ct. 2005).Google Scholar
- Matter of Tartakoff v. New York State Education Department, NY Slip Op. 06276 (Appellate Div., 3d Dept. 2015).Google Scholar
- Consent agreement between Michael Wilson and the State of Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, Marriage and Family Therapist Board, 2015. Counselor, Social Worker, & Marriage and Family Therapist Board. http://cswmft.ohio.gov/Investigations/DisciplinedLicensees.aspx. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Matter of Ahleman, (Counselor, Social Worker, & Marriage and Family Therapist Board, Ohio, 2008). http://cswmft.ohio.gov/Investigations/DisciplinedLicensees.gov. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Matter of Bass (Counselor, Social Worker, & Marriage and Family Therapist Board, Ohio, 2017). http://cswmft.ohio.gov/Investigations/DisciplinedLicensees.gov. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Matter of Currie, Case No. 10-1535 (Maryland State Bd. of Social Work Examiners 2011). Dhmh.maryland.gov/bswe/Documents/Orders/Currie-1535.pdf. Accessed 16 April 2017.
- Matter of James, Final Order of Discipline (State of New Jersey, Department of Law & Public Safety, Division of Consumer Affairs, Board of Social Work Examiners 2001). http://njpublicsafety.com/ca/action/20011017_44SC01297700.pdf. Accessed 27 March 2017.
- Matter of King, Recommendation of Administrative Law Judge, Case No. 10-1762C-06. (Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners 2011). http://socialwork.alabama.gov/discipline.aspx. Accessed 26 March 2017.
- Matter of Nedoba, Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, Decision and Order, DIA No. 12SW008 (Iowa Board of Social Work 2013). http://www.idph.state.ia.us/IDPHChannels-Service/file.ashx?file=B5221FE3-D8F1-4A02. Accessed 27 March 2017.
- Ohio Administrative Code § 4757-5-01(C) (2017).Google Scholar
- Ohio Administrative Code § 4757-5-10(A) (2014).Google Scholar
- Ohio Revised Code § 4757.01(C) (2014a).Google Scholar
- Ohio Revised Code § 4757.02(B)(2) (2014b).Google Scholar
- Ohio Revised Code § 4757.03(A)(3) (2014c).Google Scholar
- Wyoming Statutes Annotated § 33-38-102(a)(v) (LexisNexis 2005).Google Scholar