The Primary Care Dilemma
There is a great demand for primary care and outpatient services but a declining number of US medical trainees enter primary care each year. There is a mismatch between the need for care and service availability and society has hitherto exhibited a lackluster investment in the primary care infrastructure. Revitalizing primary care is crucial to value-based healthcare transformation.
KeywordsPrimary care Outpatient services Revitalizing primary care
- 2.AAMC Physician supply and demand through 2025: Key findings. https://www.aamc.org/download/426260/data/physiciansupplyanddemandthrough2025keyfindings.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 3.HRSA Projecting the supply and demand for primary care practitioners through 2020. https://bhw.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/bhw/nchwa/primarycarebrief.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 4.Council on Graduate Medical Education Twentieth Report: Advancing primary care. December 2010. https://www.hrsa.gov/advisorycommittees/bhwadvisory/co%20gme/Reports/twentiethreport.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 5.National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) United States Health Center fact sheet. http://www.nachc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/US17.pdf#5. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 7.Klink K. Incentives for physicians to pursue primary care in the ACA era. Am Med Assoc J Ethics. 2015;17:637–46.Google Scholar
- 8.AAMC Results of the 2014 medical school enrollment survey https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Results%20of%20the%202014%20Medical%20School%20Enrollment%20Survey.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 10.Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Comprehensive primary care plus https://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/comprehensive-primary-care-plus. Accessed 3 Nov 2017.
- 12.Simmons School of Nursing Where Can Nurse Practitioners Work Without Physician Supervision? https://onlinenursing.simmons.edu/nursing-blog/nurse-practitioners-scope-of-practice-map/. Accessed 3 Nov 2017.
- 13.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality The number of nurse practitioners and physician assistants practicing primary care in the United States. Primary care workforce facts and stats #2 https://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/factsheets/primary/pcwork2/index.html. Accessed 3 Nov 2017.
- 14.American Association of Nurse Practitioners. https://www.aanp.org/press-room/press-releases/161-press-room/2014-press-releases/1675-2015-nurse-practitioner-ranks-surge-to-205-000-nearly-doubling-over-past-decade. Accessed 3 Nov 2017.
- 17.Taylor LA, Coyle CE, Ndumele C, et al. Leveraging the social determinants of health: what works? Boston, MA: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation; 2015. http://bluecrossfoundation.org/sites/default/files/download/publication/Social_Equity_Report_Final.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.
- 18.Improving primary care. Strategies and tools for a better practice Bodenheimer, Thomas, Grumbach, Kevin (UCSF Primary Care). New York: McGraw-Hill; 2007. ISBN paperback 9780071447386.Google Scholar
- 19.Doran GT. There's a S.M.A.R.T. Way to write management's goals and objectives. Management review. AMA Forum. 1981;70(11):35–6.Google Scholar
- 20.Erikson SM, Rockwern B, Koltov M, McLean RM, for the medical practice in quality committee of the American College of physicians. Putting patients first by reducing administrative tasks and healthcare: A position paper of the American College of physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2017;166:659–61.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.American College of Physicians. Policy paper. 2011. Aligning GME policy with the Nation’s health care workforce needs. Https://www.acponline.org/system/files/documents/advocacy/current_policy_papers/assets/gme_policy.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2017.