Maturity Analysis and Monitoring System for Sugarcane Crops
The sugarcane stalk and foliage colors are strong indicators of maturity. While outdoor conditions affect the lighting of the captured sugarcane image, external factors like shadows and over exposure can easily be neglected in the Hue Saturation Value (HSV) color space. Through a series of experimentations in the HSV color space, the proponents found out that there is a significant shifting of Hue and Saturation values as sugarcane crops mature. The Hue and Saturation frequencies of both matured and not-matured sugarcanes were used as data for the maturity detection comparison module which utilizes RandomForest algorithm with 90.16% accuracy.
KeywordsSugarcane Maturity analysis HSV Automation Principal component analysis
The authors would like to thank the following agriculturists and sugarcane plantation managers and owners for sharing their expertise on sugarcane farming: Mauro Merculio, Vivencio Sangil, Virgilio Obra, Dr. Norvie Manigbas, and Mr. Clarence Ortiz.
- 1.Henry, R., and C. Kole. 2010. Genetics, genomics and breeding of sugarcane. New York, USA: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 2.HSV (Hue, Saturation, and Value) [Online]. Available http://www.tech-faq.com/hsv.html.
- 3.Lingle, S. 1988. Evidence for the uptake of sucrose intact into sugarcane internodes. Plant Physiology 90: 6–8 [Online]. Available http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/90/1/6.full.pdf.
- 4.Montillo, A. 2009. Random forests [Online]. Available http://www.dabi.temple.edu/~hbling/8590.002/Montillo_RandomForests_4-2-2009.pdf.
- 5.Silva, M., and M. Caputo. 2012. Ripening and use of ripeners for better sugarcane management. In Crop Management and Tools for Higher Yield and Sustainability, ed. F. Martin. https://doi.org/10.5772/1107.
- 6.Smith, L. 2002. A tutorial on principal components analysis [Online]. Available http://www.sccg.sk/~haladova/principal_components.pdf.
- 7.Shalizi, C., and B. Junker. (2010). Principal component analysis [Online]. Available http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~cshalizi/490/pca/pca-handout.pdf.