“Tampering with Society’s DNA” or “Making Society Stronger”: A Comparative Perspective on Family, Religion and Gay Rights in the Construction of the Nation
The family is encoded in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a fundamental value and basis of social, economic and cultural organization of modern societies. In contemporary debates over same-sex marriage and “rainbow families” within capitalist democracies, LGBTI rights groups, states and religious groups all battle over how “family” should be defined and inscribed within the national value system. Drawing on both feminist critiques of the family and literature on homonormativity, homonationalism and homoprotectionism, this chapter considers the imbrication of debates over homosexuality and gay rights with debates over the meaning of the nation and the still profoundly gendered family as its bedrock. The chapter is comparative, drawing on examples from several countries and regions.
- Alsema, Adriaan. 2016. Colombia’s Education Minister Resigns After Months of Political Bullying over Her Sexual Orientation. Colombia Reports, October 4. At http://colombiareports.com/colombias-education-minister-resigns-months-political-bullying-sexual-orientation/. Accessed 10 Dec 2016.
- Avery, Dan. 2016. Why Brazil Could Soon Be the Worst Place on Earth for LGBT People. Newnownext, April 26. At http://www.newnownext.com/why-brazil-could-soon-be-the-worst-place-on-earth-for-lgbt-people/04/2016/. Accessed 7 Dec 2016.
- Balan, Michael. 2015. CNN’s Pereira Gushes over ‘Poster Boy’ for Same-Sex ‘Marriage’. mrcNewsBusters, April 28. At https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-balan/2015/04/28/cnns-pereira-gushes-over-poster-boy-same-sex-marriage. 9 Dec 2016.
- BBC News. 2013. Pope Francis: Who Am I to Judge Gay People?, July 29. At http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-23489702. Accessed 8 Dec 2016.
- de Beauvoir, Simone. 1949. Le Deuxième sexe. Paris: Gallimard.Google Scholar
- Bernstein, Mary, and Verta Taylor, eds. 2013. The Marrying Kind? Debating Same-Sex Marriage Within the Lesbian and Gay Movement. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Cameron, David. 2013. Televised Statement on Gay Marriage, February 4. Available online at Channel 4, https://www.channel4.com/news/senior-tories-rally-round-same-sex-marriage-bill. Accessed 9 Dec 2016.
- Casey, Nicholas. 2016. Colombian Opposition to Peace Deal Feeds Off Gay Rights Backlash. The New York Times, October 8. At http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/09/world/americas/colombian-opposition-to-peace-deal-feeds-off-gay-rights-backlash.html. Accessed 8 Dec 2016.
- Chasin, Alexandra. 2000. Selling Out: The Gay and Lesbian Movement Goes to Market. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Cole, J. Michael. 2013. Who Is Behind the Happiness of the Next Generation Alliance? The Far Eastern Sweet Potato blogspot, December 11. At http://fareasternpotato.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/who-is-behind-happiness-of-next.html. Accessed 7 Dec 2016.
- Daniel, Tallie Ben. 2007. Ani Geh Bisrael: Zionism and the Paradox of Gay Rights. UCLA Center for the Study of Women. At https://escholarship.org/uc/item/43s5k7nf. Accessed 20 Mar 2015.
- Delphy, Christine, and Diana Leonard. 1992. Familiar Exploitation: A New Analysis of Marriage in Contemporary Western Societies. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Douglas, Bruce. 2016. Trump Victory Prompts Brazil to Review Risk of Mavericks. Bloomberg News, November 23. At https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-23/trump-victory-prompts-brazil-to-review-risk-of-mavericks. Accessed 7 Dec 2016.
- Ekman, Kajsa. 2014. Being and Being Bought: Prostitution, Surrogacy and the Split Self. Melbourne: Spinifex Press.Google Scholar
- Gates, Gary J. 2015. Demographics of Married and Unmarried Same-Sex Couples: Analyses of the 2013 American Community Survey. UCLA, Los Angeles: The Williams Institute. At http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/research/census-lgbt-demographics-studies/demographics-of-married-and-unmarried-same-sex-couples-analyses-of-the-2013-american-community-survey/. Accessed 9 Dec 2016.
- Gouges, Olympe de. 1791. Declaration des droits de la femme et de la citoyenne. At https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/D%C3%A9claration_des_droits_de_la_femme_et_de_la_citoyenne. Accessed 10 Dec 2016.
- Guillaumin, Colette. 1992. Pratique du pouvoir et idée de Nature. In Sexe, Race et Pratique du pouvoir: L’idée de Nature, ed. Colette Guillaumin, 15–82. Paris: côté-femmes.Google Scholar
- Keating, Christine (Cricket). 2013. Conclusion. In Global Homophobia: States, Movements, and the Politics of Oppression, ed. Meredith L. Weiss and Michael J. Bosia, 246–254. Champaign: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Kelly, Michael. 2015. How Same-Sex Marriage Won Out in Ireland. The Catholic World Report, May 26. At http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/3902/how_samesex_marriage_won_out_in_ireland.aspx. Accessed 8 Dec 2016.
- Kirchner, Cristina. 2010. Televised Statement in Support of Marriage Equality Bill, July 12. At https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixVrmrQg9AM. Accessed 7 Dec 2016.
- Millett, Kate. 1969. Sexual Politics. New York: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- O’Neill, Luke. 2014. Do Lesbians Get Married More Than Gay Men? Boston.com, October 11. http://www.boston.com/news/national-news/2014/10/11/do-lesbians-get-married-more-than-gay-men. Accessed 9 Dec 2016.
- Pateman, Carole. 1988. The Sexual Contract. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Tabet, Paola. 2004. La grande beffa. Sessualità delle donne e scambio sessuo-economico. Soveria Mannelli: Rubbettino.Google Scholar
- Taubira, Christiane. 2013. Le discours de Christiane Taubira pour le mariage pour tous, January 29. Texte intégral. Le Figaro, 27 March 2014. At http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/le-scan/2014/03/27/25001-20140327ARTFIG00079-le-discours-de-christiane-taubira-pour-le-mariage-pour-tous.php. Accessed 7 Dec 2016.
- Wentz, Sarah. n.d. Combating Domestic and Sexual Violence in Colombia. Vital Voices. At https://www.vitalvoices.org/blog/2016/07/combating-domestic-and-sexual-violence-colombia. Accessed 8 Dec 2016.
- ———. 2014. The Ties That Bind Us: The Hidden Knots of Gay Marriage. Portal: Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies 11 (1): special issue on “Stigma.” http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/portal/article/view/3296.
- ———. 2015. The ‘L’ in the LGBTI ‘Alphabet Soup’: Issues Faced by Lesbian Asylum Seekers and Other Non-Western Lesbian Exiles in France. Contemporary French Civilization 40 (2) (special issue on immigration). https://doi.org/10.3828/cfc.2015.11.
- Winter, Bronwyn, Maxime Forest, and Réjane Sénac, eds. 2018. Institutionalizing Same-Sex Marriage: Between Globalization and Path Dependency. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- WND. 2003. ‘Gay’ Marriage Ruling’s Consequences ‘Dire’, November 19. At http://www.wnd.com/2003/11/21865/. Accessed 9 Dec 2016.