Women’s Support for UKIP: Exploring Gender, Nativism, and the Populist Radical Right (PRR)
In her chapter on the UK Independence Party (UKIP), Erin Sanders-McDonagh explores the views of female UKIP supporters and adds to existing literature on the importance of nativism within the populist radical right (PRR). Nativism has often been seen as a key factor in determining electoral support for PRR parties, and women in this sample are clearly attracted to UKIP as a result of their adherence to nativist ideas. Drawing on in-depth interview data, she argues that women who support UKIP interpolate nativism in highly gendered ways—with Muslim women specifically seen to be a threat to ‘British’ culture and values. She looks at the shift from the 2014 UKIP Manifesto to the 2017 Manifesto, drawing attention to the ways in which Islamophobic sentiments creep in. Sanders-McDonagh highlights the consonance in the official discourses of UKIP and the anti-Muslim expressions in the interview data and argues that examining these shifts in political ideologies can reveal important aspects of the nature of gendered political dynamics.
- Abedi, Amir, and Thomas Carl Lundberg. 2009. Doomed to Failure? UKIP and the Organisational Challenges Facing Right-Wing Populist Anti-Political Establishment Parties. Parliamentary Affairs 61 (1): 72–87.Google Scholar
- Coenders, Marcel, Merove Gijsberts, and Peer Scheepers. 2004. Resistance to the Presence of Immigrants and Refugees in 22 Countries. In Nationalism and Exclusion Of Migrants: Cross-National Comparisons, ed. Mérove Gijsberts, Louk Hagendoorn, and Peer Scheepers, 97–120. Aldershot: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- IPSOS-Mori. 2016. How Britain voted in 2015. [Online]: IPSOS-Mori. Available at: https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2015. Accessed 1 Sept 2016.
- Kitschelt, Herbert. 1995. The Radical Right in Western Europe. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.Google Scholar
- UKIP. 2014. UKIP Manifesto: Creating and Earthquake. [online]: UK independence party. Available at: https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/themes/5308a93901925b5b09000002/attachments/original/1398869254/EuroManifestoLaunch.pdf?1398869254
- ———. 2015 UKIP Manifesto: Believe in Britain. [online]: UK Independence Party. Available at: https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/ukipdev/pages/1103/attachments/original/1429295050/UKIPManifesto2015.pdf?1429295050
- ———. 2017. UKIP Manifesto: Britain Together. [online] UK Independence Party. Available at: https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/ukipdev/pages/3944/attachments/original/1495695469/UKIP_Manifesto_June2017opt.pdf?1495695469