This chapter considers the key lessons that can be drawn from the example of the RUC. The RUC demonstrates that a police force is capable of taking the lead role in combating terrorism although the costs of doing so can be high. It accounts for the main points of each chapter and suggests that states need to consider carefully their options when it comes to combating terrorism. The point is made that more attention needs to be paid to the victims of terrorism—thus emphasising the terrorist as perpetrator of violence. It also discusses the role of hard power in combating terrorism. The chapter concludes by accounting for the contribution of the RUC not only to fighting terrorism but maintaining Northern Ireland’s constitutional position within the United Kingdom.
KeywordsVictims Hard power Sri Lanka Dershowitz International policing cooperation
- Allison, G. (2004). Nuclear Terrorism: The Ultimate Preventable Catastrophe. New York: Henry Holt.Google Scholar
- Clarke, L. (2013). Martin McGuinness Refuses to Condemn IRA ‘Human Bomb’ Attack in 1990 Dubbed the ‘Work of Satan’ by Catholic Bishop. Belfast Telegraph. Available from http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/martin-mcguinness-refuses-to-condemn-ira-human-bomb-attack-in-1990-dubbed-the-work-of-satan-by-catholic-bishop-29733940.html.
- Dershowitz, A. (2002). Why Terrorism Works: Understanding the Threat, Responding to the Challenge. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- English, R. (2009). Terrorism: How to Respond. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Independent. (2016). Sadiq Khan: London Mayor Says Being Prepared for Terror Attacks ‘Part and Parcel’ of Living in a Major City. Independent. Available from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sadiq-khan-london-mayor-terrorism-attacks-part-and-parcel-major-cities-new-york-bombing-a7322846.html.
- Matchett, W. (2016). Secret Victory: The Intelligence War that Beat the IRA. Lisburn: Hiskey Ltd.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, C. (1990). Foreword. In M. Dillon (Ed.), The Dirty War (pp. xi–xvii). London: Arrow Books.Google Scholar
- Unthinkable. (2010) [DVD]. Directed by Gregor Jordan. USA: Lleju Productions.Google Scholar
- Urban, M. (1992). Big Boys’ Rules. London: Faber and Faber.Google Scholar
- Wilkinson, P. (2000). Terrorism Versus Democracy: The Liberal State Response. London: Frank Cass.Google Scholar