Teaching the Teachers
- 523 Downloads
In this chapter, we ask why military memoirs look like they do. We focus in this chapter on the book covers, and do so using a framework suggested by an existing literature on paratext. We examine in detail some of the key paratextual features of the covers of military memoirs, looking at the titles of books, the way in which an author’s name is presented, and the overall design of the cover, including the imagery and other features used. Given that the cover is so significant for the sales of a book, we then go on to consider how covers and their imagery comprise a visual economy, and in turn how this suggests a relationship to wider narratives about war through which it is given meaning in contemporary public cultural life.
KeywordsMilitary Memoirs curriculumCurriculum kidsKids contentContent Personal Teaching Philosophy
- AITSL. (2017). Australian Professional Standards for Teachers. https://www.aitsl.edu.au/australian-professional-standards-for-teachers/standards/list. Accessed 14 June 2017.
- Aspland, T. (2006). Changing patterns of teacher education in Australia. Education Research and Perspectives, 33(2), 140–163.Google Scholar
- Barnes, J. (2016). Working class boy. Sydney: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- Bartolomé, L. (2004). Critical pedagogy and teacher education: Radicalizing prospective teachers. Teacher Education Quarterly, 31, 97–122.Google Scholar
- Bennett, G. A., Newman, E., Kay-Lambkin, F., & Hazel, G. (2016). Start Well: A research project supporting resilience and wellbeing in early career teachers – Summary report. Newcastle: Hunter Institute of Mental Health.Google Scholar
- Dawkins, R. (1988). Higher education: A policy statement. Canberra: Australian Government.Google Scholar
- Earp, J. (2017, March 9). A whole school mentoring program. Teacher Magazine. https://www.teachermagazine.com.au/article/a-whole-school-mentoring-program. Accessed 18 June 2017.
- European Commission. (1999). http://ec.europa.eu/education/policy/higher-education/bologna-process_en. Accessed 14 June 2017.
- Friere, P. (1996). Pedagogy of the oppressed. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Homer. (2003). The Odyssey. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Menter, I. (2016). What is a teacher in the 21st century and what does a 21st century teacher need to know? www.aare.edu.au/blog/?p=1516. Accessed 16 May 2016.
- TTF. (2017). Teaching teachers for the future. http://www.ttf.edu.au/what-is-tpack/what-is-tpack.html. Accessed 13 June 2017.