A Holistic View of Education
The previous chapter noted that the age-old question ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’ is rather redundant in the light of the fourth industrial revolution and the constantly changing uncertainty of the modern workforce, and it is also loaded with assumptions about ‘being’ and ‘identity’ necessarily associated with a career, job, or occupation. Why not aim for happiness?
- Aristotle’s Metaphysics. (1998). Translated with an introduction by H. Lawson-Tancred. London: PenguinGoogle Scholar
- Balogh, S., & Hutchinson, S. (2017, February 21). Discipline beats dollars in driving academic results. The Australian. Google Scholar
- Borgonovi, F., & Pál, J. (2016). A framework for the analysis of student well-being in the PISA 2015 study: Being 15 in 2015. OECD working papers no 140. Paris: OECD Publishing.Google Scholar
- Future Learning. (2012). University of Phoenix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC_T9ePzANg&sns=em. Accessed 26 July 2017.
- Gidley, J. (2016). Postformal education: A philosophy for complex futures. Switzerland: Springer.Google Scholar
- Holt, J. (1983). How children learn (Revised ed.). New York: Dell Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Lawson, H. (2016). Categories, boundaries and bridges: The social geography of schooling and the need for new institutional designs. Education Sciences, 6(32), 1–14.Google Scholar
- Lester, E. (1975). Education by Aborigines for Aborigines. In D. Edgar (Ed.), Sociology of Australian education: A book of readings. Sydney: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Mather, A. (2017). Concordia Community, Autumn, Issue 64.Google Scholar
- Montessori, M. (1912). The Montessori method. New York: Frederick Stokes.Google Scholar
- Moore, A. (2014a, May 10). Is this the perfect playground, full of junk? The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/10/perfect-childrens-playground-the-land-plas-madoc-wales. Accessed 23 July 2017.
- Noddings, N. (2005). What does it mean to educate the whole child? Educational Leadership, 63(1), 8–13.Google Scholar
- SASPA. (2015). Discussion paper: Educating in the 21st century. Adelaide: South Australian Secondary Principals’ Association.Google Scholar
- Steiner, R. (1968). The roots of education. London: Rudolf Steiner Press.Google Scholar
- UNICEF. (1989). United Nations convention on the rights of the child. https://www.unicef.org.au/Upload/UNICEF/Media/Our%20work/childfriendlycrc.pdf. Accessed 30 May 2017.
- Wallace, P., & Wallace, N. (1968). Children of the desert. Melbourne: Thomas Nelson.Google Scholar
- Wright, T. (2017, July 20). Aboriginal archaeological discovery in Kakadu rewrites the history of Australia. Sydney Morning Herald.Google Scholar