Green Business: Not Just the Color of Money
Sustainable business development has moved into the social fabric of corporations alongside historical parameters of business performance such as profit margins and return on investment. The transition to envelope a mindset beyond profits has been supported by initiatives founded by the United Nations (UN) Millennium Development Goals and more recently the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). However, sustainable business development faces challenges in both emerging and developed nations to infuse corporate social responsibility and innovation to address current environmental conditions that endanger public health. The UN suggests that to achieve these measures will require new economic paradigms, behavioral pattern changes in corporate and consumer consumption of natural resources, adaptive policy, and commitments to limit resource use. This chapter defines the evolution of sustainability and presents key components from a business perspective. Next, the impact of business environmental sustainability on public health is discussed using several examples of how corporations address important problems such as e-waste, natural habitat conservation, and employee safety and health. From there, we review management tools to assess sustainability providing insight to corporate business ventures that are best aligned with SDGs. Finally, we summarize key points of the material and present a high-level list of best practices.
KeywordsSustainable business development Circular economy Corporate social responsibility Triple bottom line United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
Processes (natural or deliberate) by which CO2 is either diverted from the sources of emission or eliminated from the atmosphere and collected in different natural environments, such as ocean, vegetation, sediment, and other geologic formations (USGS 2016).
Buying and selling licenses by companies and governments to produce CO2.
System with the objective of reducing energy and material consumption in which the resource inputs and waste generated by production can be regenerated minimizing resource depletion through a system of multiple strategies for reutilization.
Natural resources mined in a zone experiencing social or civil unrest where profits are used to support continued aggression.
An ethical and balanced attention to a problem, product, plan, or service.
Realistic; acceptable viable options.
Providing monetary support for a project, plan or product.
A global independent nonprofit standards organization providing guidelines for reporting on corporate social responsibility aspects and performance (e.g., human rights, climate change, corruption).
The appearance of chemicals called halogens (e.g., bromine, chlorine, fluorine) in other substances, such as carbon, that have a long-term environmental impact due to their characteristic stable structure; highly restricted use in production, banned in most countries.
An entity (person or company) that owns a company stock share.
All those impacted by an organization’s activities including businesses, competitors, government, community members, environment, and others.
- American Red Cross. The Clorox company. 2017. http://www.redcross.org/disasterresponder/Clorox. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Apple, Inc. Two million U.S. jobs. And counting. 2017a. https://www.apple.com/job-creation/. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Apple, Inc. Supplier responsibility. 2017b. https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Bloomberg. Costco CEO Craig Jelinek leads the cheapest, happiest company in the world. 2013. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-06/costco-ceo-craig-jelinek-leads-the-cheapest-happiest-company-in-the-world. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Boxer L. Sustainability perspectives. Phil Manag. 2007;6(2):86–98.Google Scholar
- Cambridge. Cambridge dictionary. 2017. http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/carbon-trading. Accessed 6 August 2017.
- Campbell. 2017 corporate sustainability report. 2017. http://www.campbellcsr.com/_pdfs/Campbells_2017_CSR_Report.pdf. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Cannon T. Corporate responsibility. 1st ed. London: Pitman; 1992.Google Scholar
- Ceres. The 21st century corporation: a ceres roadmap to sustainability. Boston: Ceres; 2010.Google Scholar
- Cernansky R. How HP and Dell are reducing the toxics in their electronics. 2016. https://www.greenbiz.com/article/how-hp-and-dell-are-reducing-toxics-their-electronics. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- Clorox Company. Who we are. 2017a. https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Clorox Company. Employee volunteerism. 2017b. https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/corporate-responsibility/social-impact/employee-volunteerism/. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Corporate Knights. The results for the 2016 Global 100 most sustainable corporations in the world index. 2016. http://www.corporateknights.com/magazines/2016-global-100-issue/2016-global-100-results-14533333/. Accessed 7 Aug 2017.
- Corporate Knights. Corporate knights about us. 2017. http://www.corporateknights.com/us/about-us/ Accessed 7 Aug 2017.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation. Costco disclosure regarding human trafficking and anti-slavery. 2017a. https://www.costco.com/disclosure-regarding-human-trafficking-and-anti-slavery.html. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation. Environmental impacts. https://www.costco.com/sustainability-environment.html. 2017b. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Corporate Responsibility (CR) Magazine. 100 best methodology: how we determine the winners. 2016. http://www.thecro.com/100-best/100-best-methodology-how-we-determine-the-winners/. Accessed 7 Aug 2017.
- Corporate Responsibility (CR). CR’s 100 best corporate citizens. 2017. http://www.thecro.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/CR_100Bestpages_digitalR.pdf. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- D&B Hoovers. Apple Inc. company information. 2017. http://www.hoovers.com/company-information/cs/company-profile.apple_inc.4c9baa063908dbd8.html. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) North America. DJSI North America composite index. 2017. https://us.spindices.com/indices/equity/dow-jones-sustainability-north-america-composite-index. Accessed 7 Aug 2017.
- Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) World. DJSI world composite index. 2017. http://us.spindices.com/indices/equity/dow-jones-sustainability-world-index. Accessed 13 Aug 2017.
- Dunn J. Here’s how Apple’s retail business spreads across the world. 2017. Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-stores-how-many-around-world-chart-2017-2 Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- Elkington J. Cannibals with forks. Gabriola Island: New Society; 1998.Google Scholar
- Fortune (2017) Global 500. http://fortune.com/global500/. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Friedman M. The social responsibility of business is to increase its profits. The New York Times Magazine. 1970, September 13;13:32–33, 122, 124, 126.Google Scholar
- General Mills, Inc. Businesses. 2014. https://www.generalmills.com/en/Company/Businesses. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- General Mills Inc. Policy on human rights. 2015. https://www.generalmills.com/en/News/Issues/human-rights. Accessed 9 Jun 2017.
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). Joining forces for business action on SDGs. 2014. https://www.globalreporting.org/information/news-and-press-center/Pages/Joining-Forces-for-Business-Action-on-Sustainable-Development-Goals.aspx. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). GRI’s history. n.d. https://www.globalreporting.org/information/about-gri/gri-history/Pages/GRI’s%20history.aspx. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Hess. Hess named to Dow Jones Sustainability Index North America for seventh consecutive year. 2017a. http://www.hess.com/company/news-article/2016/09/09/hess-named-to-dow-jones-sustainability-index-north-america-for-seventh-consecutive-year. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Hess. Climate change and energy. 2017b. http://www.hess.com/sustainability/climate-change-energy. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Hess. Social responsibility. 2017c. http://www.hess.com/sustainability/-social-responsibility. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Hewlett Packard (HP). Global citizenship, employee gallery, Dr. Paul Mazurkiewicz. 2017. http://h41112.www4.hp.com/test-globalcitizenship/global-citizenship/pages/society/employees/paul-mazurkiewicz.html. Accessed 6 Aug 2017.
- Kauflin J. The world’s most sustainable companies 2017. 2017, January 17. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffkauflin/2017/01/17/the-worlds-most-sustainable-companies-2017/#33f1c2ca4e9d. Accessed 07 Aug 2017.
- Kahn M E. Requiring companies to disclose climate risks helps everyone. 2017. Harvard Bus Rev [online]. https://hbr.org/2017/02/requiring-companies-to-disclose-climate-risks-helps-everyone. Accessed 7 Aug 2017.
- Laff M. Managing organizational knowledge. Triple bottom line: creating corporate social responsibility that makes sense. 2009. https://www.td.org/Publications/Magazines/TD/TD-Archive/2009/02/Triple-Bottom-Line-Creating-Corporate-Social-Responsibility-That-Makes-Sense. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- Lenova. Think green products: materials. 2017. http://www.lenovo.com/social_responsibility/us/en/materials/. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- LG Electronics. Hazardous substances management: LG Electronics is researching and developing technology for the management and replacement of hazardous substances. 2017. http://www.lg.com/global/sustainability/environment/management-of-hazardous-substances. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Liebowitz J. The role of HR in achieving a sustainability culture. J Sust. Dev. 2010;3(4):50–7.Google Scholar
- Lundgren K. The global impact of e-waste: addressing the challenge. International Labour Office, Programme on Safety and Health at Work and the Environment (SafeWork), Sectoral Activities Department (SECTOR). Geneva: International Labour Office. 2012. http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_dialogue/---sector/documents/publication/wcms_196105.pdf. Accessed 27 Jun 2017.
- Mukherjee A, et al. Business strategies for environmental sustainability. In: Sarkar D, et al., editors. An integrated approach to environmental management. Hoboken: Wiley; 2016. p. 195–229.Google Scholar
- Myler L. Acquiring new customers is important, but retaining them accelerates profitable growth. 2016. https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrymyler/2016/06/08/acquiring-new-customers-is-important-but-retaining-them-accelerates-profitable-growth/#7af825766711. Accessed 6 Aug 2017.
- Newman S. The great outdoors. Constructing Costco’s outdoor furniture program. 2017. https://www.costco.com/patio-connection-outdoor-furniture-march-2017.html. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Nidumolu R, et al. Why sustainability is now the key driver of innovation. Harvard Bus Rev. 2009;87(9):56–64.Google Scholar
- Nike, Inc. Sustainable innovation. 2017. http://about.nike.com/pages/sustainable-innovation. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Nike, Inc. Sustainable business report. 2016. http://www.sustainablebrands.com/digital_learning/csr_report/next_economy/nike_inc_fy1415_sustainable_business_report. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- O’Rourke D. Opportunities and obstacles in CSR reporting in developing countries. Berkeley: University of California; 2004.Google Scholar
- Osborn D et al Universal sustainable development goals. Understanding the transformational challenge for developed countries. Report of a study by Stakeholder Forum. 2015. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/1684SF_-_SDG_Universality_Report_-_May_2015.pdf. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- PwC Global. Make it your business: engaging with the Sustainable Development Goals. 2015. http://www.PwC.com/gx/en/sustainability/SDG/SDG%20Research_FINAL.pdf. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- RE100. Interview: Paulette Frank, vice president, environment, health, safety and sustainability. 2015. http://there100.org/johnson-johnson. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- RED Group. Our proud partners. n.d. https://red.org/our-partners/. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- RED Group. Working together to end AIDS. 2017. https://red.org/what-is-red/. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- Reputation Institute. Global REPTRAK 100®. 2017. https://www.reputationinstitute.com/research/Global-RepTrak-100.aspx. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Richardson J. Health & wellness: Johnson & Johnson commits to new energy and climate goals. 2015. https://www.jnj.com/health-and-wellness/johnson-johnson-commits-to-new-energy-and-climate-goals. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- RobecoSAM. DJSI investment objective. 2017. http://www.sustainability-indices.com/index-family-overview/djsi-family-overview/. Accessed 7 Aug 2017.
- Rosenberg A. Corporate responsibility. Clorox 360-degree video tells safe water story. 2017. https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/blog/improving-access-to-safe-drinking-water-in-peru/#FksGXUQHB9qt7xLz.99. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- Starbucks Corporation. What is the role and responsibility of a for-profit, public company? 2017a. https://www.starbucks.com/responsibility. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Starbucks Corporation. Ethical sourcing: coffee. 2017b. https://www.starbucks.com/responsibility/sourcing/coffee. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Strauss K. The world’s most reputable companies in 2017. 2017. https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2017/02/28/the-worlds-most-reputable-companies-in-2017/#3ecfbd042fe3. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Toyota Motor Corporation. Safety and health. 2012. http://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/data/automotive_business/production/safety/index.html. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Toyota Motor Corporation. Toyota Sustainability data book, basic philosophy regarding employees. 2016, pp. 46-60. http://www.toyota-global.com/sustainability/society/employees/sdb16_so06_en.pdf. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Toyota Motor Corporation. Company profile. 2017a. http://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/data/conditions/company/toyota/index.html. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- Toyota Motor Corporation. Toyota global newsroom: worldwide operations. 2017b. http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/corporate/companyinformation/worldwide. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Toyota Motor Corporation. Toyota again named the ‘World’s Most Admired’ motor vehicle company. 2017c. http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+fortune+2017+most+admired.htm. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Toyota Motor Corporation. Toyota sustainability. 2017d. http://www.toyota-global.com/sustainability/index.html. Accessed 11 Jul 2017.
- Toyota Motor Corporation. Aiming for a society with no traffic accident casualties to promote an integrated three part initiative: "people/vehicles/traffic environment." 2017e. http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/safety_technology/three_part/. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- Toyota Motor Corporation. Toyota’s approaches to conflict minerals issues. 2017f. http://www.toyota-global.com/sustainability/society/human_rights/conflict-minerals-issues/. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Regulations, laws & standards. 2017a. https://www.cpsc.gov/Regulations-Laws--Standards. Accessed 12 Aug 2017.
- United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Richie House children’s robes recalled by Belle Investment due to violation of federal flammability standard; sold exclusively at Amazon.com. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/Richie-House-Childrens-Robes-Recalled-by-Belle-Investment. 2017b. Accessed 12 Aug 2017.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Sustainable trade and investment: achieving the sustainable development goals. 2015. https://wedocs.unep.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/7602/-Sustainable_trade_and_investment_Achieving_the_sustainable_development_goals-2015Sustainable_trade_and_investment_.pdf.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y. Accessed 30 Jun 2017.
- United Nations (UN) Global Compact. About the UN global compact. 2017a. https://www.unglobalcompact.org/about. Accessed 7 Aug 2017.
- United Nations (UN) Global Compact. The world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative. 2017b. https://www.unglobalcompact.org/what-is-gc. Accessed 7 Aug 2017.
- United Nations (UN) Global Compact. Global goals for people and planet. All companies can play a role. 2017c. https://www.unglobalcompact.org/sdgs/about. Accessed 7 Aug 2017.
- United Nations (UN). Sustainable development knowledge platform. 2017. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdgs. Accessed 9 Aug 2017.
- United States Geological Survey (USGS). Climate and land use change. Carbon sequestration. 2016. https://www2.usgs.gov/climate_landuse/carbon_seq/carbonseq.asp. Accessed 6 Aug 2017.
- Werbach A. Strategy for sustainability: a business manifesto. Harvard Bus Press [online]. 2013.Google Scholar
- Crane A, Matten D. Business ethics: managing corporate citizenship and sustainability in the age of globalization: Oxford University Press; 2016.Google Scholar
- Karabell Z, Cramer A. Sustainable excellence: the future of business in a fast-changing world. New York: Rodale; 2010.Google Scholar
- McDonough W, Braungart M. Cradle to cradle: remaking the way we make things. New York: North Point Press; 2010.Google Scholar
- Werbach A. Strategy for sustainability: a business manifesto. Boston: Harvard Business Press; 2009.Google Scholar
- Willard B. The new sustainability advantage: seven business case benefits of a triple bottom line. Gabrioloa Island: New Society; 2012.Google Scholar