A Single-Step 2D Thinning Scheme with Deletion of P-Simple Points
Thinning is a frequently applied technique for producing skeletons from digital binary pictures in a topology-preserving way. Bertrand proposed a two-step thinning scheme that is based on P-simple points. In this paper, we give two sufficient conditions for topology-preserving reductions working on the three possible 2D regular grids. The new conditions combined with parallel thinning strategies and geometrical constraints yield a single-step thinning scheme that deletes solely P-simple points.
KeywordsShape analysis Digital topology Regular 2D grids Topology preservation P-simple points
This work was supported by the grant OTKA K112998 of the National Scientific Research Fund.
- 2.Bertrand, G.: \(P\)-simple points: a solution for parallel thinning. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Discrete Geometry for Computer Imagery, DGCI 2005, pp. 233–242 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Hall, R.W.: Parallel connectivity-preserving thinning algorithms. In: Kong, T.Y., Rosenfeld, A. (eds.) Topological Algorithms for Digital Image Processing, pp. 145–179. Elsevier Science (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Kardos, P., Palágyi, K.: On topology preservation in triangular, square, and hexagonal grids. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis, ISPA 2013, pp. 782–787 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Kardos, P., Palágyi, K.: Unified characterization of P-simple points in triangular, square, and hexagonal grids. In: Barneva, R.P., Brimkov, V.E., Tavares, J.M.R.S. (eds.) CompIMAGE 2016. LNCS, vol. 10149, pp. 79–88. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-54609-4_6 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kovalevsky, V.A.: Geometry of Locally Finite Spaces. Publishing House, Berlin, Germany (2008)Google Scholar