Multi-Objective Optimization Framework for Electricity and Natural Gas Energy Hubs Under Hydrogen Storage System and Demand Response Program
Energy hub is a new concept in the field of energy systems. Using multiple energy carriers as their inputs, these systems are capable of supplying various kinds of energy demands which seems to be interesting for system operators in the future. Different renewable and non-renewable generation units can be incorporated in gas and electricity energy hub systems to provide sufficient energy for supplying different types of loads. Primary fuel consumed by the units inside hub system is usually natural gas which is procured from gas network. In addition to distributed generation units in the hub system, upper network is also available to provide a reliable power to the electrical load. As expressed above, different energy carriers are involved in the hub energy systems. So, utilization of energy storage system seems to be vital. One of the energy storage systems that can be integrated in the future hub energy systems is hydrogen energy storage system (HSS). In this chapter, performance of hub energy system has been investigated from economic and environmental viewpoints in the presence of hydrogen energy storage system and demand response program (DRP). Four case studies have been evaluated in a sample hub energy system and the results are analyzed for comparison.
KeywordsMulti-objective model Hydrogen storage system Demand response program
- 3.Ghalelou AN, Fakhri AP, Nojavan S, Majidi M, Hatami H (2016) A stochastic self-scheduling program for compressed air energy storage (CAES) of renewable energy sources (RESs) based on a demand response mechanism. Energy Convers Manag 120:388–396. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.04.082 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.AlRafea K, Fowler M, Elkamel A, Hajimiragha A (2016) Integration of renewable energy sources into combined cycle power plants through electrolysis generated hydrogen in a new designed energy hub. Int J Hydrog Energy 41(38):16718–16728. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.06.256 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Nojavan S, Zare K, Mohammadi-Ivatloo B (2017) Application of fuel cell and electrolyzer as hydrogen energy storage system in energy management of electricity energy retailer in the presence of the renewable energy sources and plug-in electric vehicles. Energy Convers Manag 136:404–417CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Majidi M, Nojavan S, Esfetanaj NN, Najafi-Ghalelou A, Zare K (2017) A multi-objective model for optimal operation of a battery/PV/fuel cell/grid hybrid energy system using weighted sum technique and fuzzy satisfying approach considering responsible load management. Sol Energy 144:79–89CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.The GAMS software website (2017). [Online]. http://www.gams.com/dd/docs/solvers/cplex.pdf