Mobile Banking Adoption: Key Challenges and Opportunities and Implications for a Developing Country
Technology adoption is one of the promising and growing research domains as new technology emerges continuously. Mobile banking is one of the latest technological innovations and offers multiple benefits and challenges to users and financial institutions. This chapter highlights the recent trends in the banking industry and establishes a relationship between mobile technology and traditional banking systems. Major benefits offered and main challenges faced by mobile banking adoption are discussed in detail. In addition, integration of latest technologies such as big data and cloud computing in the context of banking industry is also discussed. By exploring various dimensions of mobile banking adoption, this chapter provides theoretical and practical implications for researchers and decision-makers from a developing country perspective.
KeywordsMobile banking Technology adoption m-Banking benefits m-Banking challenges
- Brooks, S. (2014). Five positive aspects of M-banking. Retrieved from http://www.banking.com/2014/08/13/5-positive-aspects-of-mobile-banking#.WAcXH9xOVx8
- Benton, D. 2010. “How Cloud Computing Will Influence Banking Strategies in the Future”, 15/5/2014, fromwww.accenture.com/banking.Google Scholar
- Dineshwar, R., & Steven, M. (2013). An investigation on mobile banking adoption and usage: A case study of Mauritius. In Proceedings of the 3rd Asia-Pacific Business Research Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Dwivedi, Y. K., Rana, N. P., Jeyaraj, A., Clement, M., & Williams, M. D. (2017). Re-examining the unified theory of acceptance and use of technology (UTAUT): Towards a revised theoretical model. Information Systems Frontiers. Available at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10796-017-9774-y
- Goyal, V., Pandey, S. U., & Batra, S. (2012). Mobile banking in India: Practices, challenges and security issues. International Journal of Advanced Trends in Computer Science and Engineering, 1(2), 56–66.Google Scholar
- GSMA. (2012). What is the impact of mobile telephony on economic Growth? A report for the GSM Association, November 2012. Available at http://www.gsma.com/newsroom/press-release/gsma-and-deloitte-release-comprehensive-research-into-the-impact-of-mobile-telephony-on-economic-growth/. (Retrieved on November 20, 2012).
- Gulf News (2017). Accessed on 11 June 2017 http://gulfnews.com/business/sectors/banking/the-big-databanking-security and privacyrevolution-1.2041732.Google Scholar
- Isac, A. (2013). Use of mobile technology in banking services. Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, 13(2), 109–116.Google Scholar
- ISACA. (2011). Mobile payments: Risk, security and assurance issues, An ISACA Emerging Technology White Paper, November 2011. www.isaca.org
- ITU (2015). Global ICT developments. [internet] Retrieved from:www.itu.int/en/ITUD/Statistics/Pages/stat/default.aspx.Google Scholar
- Juniper Research. (2013). Mobile banking handset & tablet market strategies 2013–2017. Available at http://www.juniperresearch.com/reports/mobile_banking. Accessed 1 Jan 2014).
- Juniper Research. (2017). https://www.juniperresearch.com/researchstore/commerce-fintech/worldwide-digital-banking. Accessed on 28 Apr 2017.
- Kaya, M. M. (2013). Trust and Security Risks in Mobile Banking (Doctoral dissertation, University of Oxford, UK).Google Scholar
- Maroofi, F., Kahrarian, F., & Dehghani, M. (2013). An investigation of initial trust in mobile banking. Internet Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 13(9), 394–403.Google Scholar
- Mell, P., Grance, T. (2011). The NIST definition of cloud computing (draft), NISTGoogle Scholar.Google Scholar
- Sharma, S. K. (2017). Integrating cognitive antecedents into TAM to explain mobile banking behavioral intention: A SEM-neural network modeling. Information Systems Frontiers, 1–13. Available at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10796-017-9775-x
- TOO. (2015). Bank Muscat launches all-new, feature-rich mobile banking app. http://timesofoman.com/article/73867/Business/Bank-Muscat-launches-all-new-feature-rich-mobile-banking-app
- World Bank. (2009). Information and communications for development 2009: Extending reach and increasing impact. Retrieved from http://live.worldbank.org/information-communications-technology-development
- Waverman, L., Meschi, M., & Fuss, M. (2005). The impact of telecoms on economic growth in developing countries. The Vodafone policy paper series, 2(3), 10–24.Google Scholar