Controversies and Open Issues in Cosmological Thermodynamics
This chapter serves as an epilogue to this book. It enlists several shortcomings as well as certain open issues in the research field of cosmological thermodynamics. These problems are quite intriguing and are far from being settled. Among them, the problem due to dynamic cosmological horizons is quite serious and as a result, many Cosmologists still remain sceptical about the thermodynamic formulation of our Universe based on cosmic horizons.
KeywordsDynamic cosmological horizons Flat FLRW universe Cosmic fluid
- P.A.R. Ade et al. 2016. Planck 2015 results. XIII. Cosmological parameters. Astronomy and Astrophysics 594: A13.Google Scholar
- Helou, A. 2015. Dynamics of the cosmological apparent horizon: Surface gravity and temperature. arXiv:1502.04235 [gr-qc].
- ’t Hooft, G. 2003. Dimensional reduction in quantum gravity. arXiv:gr-qc/9310026.
- Mimoso, J.P., and D. Pavón. 2016. Considerations on the thermal equilibrium between matter and the cosmic horizon. Physical Review D 94: 103507.Google Scholar
- Viaggiu, S. 2015. First law of thermodynamics for dynamical apparent horizons and the entropy of Friedmann universes. General Relativity and Gravitation 47: 86.Google Scholar