Story Writing for Creative Revising of Ideas
This paper presents the mechanism and methodology of creative revising in design processes. Creative revising is the process of concept development where brainstormed ideas are continuously expanded with many fresh insights and are layered with increasing complexity. This paper begins with a discussion on the factors that make the creative revising process difficult. It arrives at the conclusion that a fixed definition of ideas in the early stages hinders their development. Creative revising requires the practitioner to continuously obscure and redefine notions, and we found that designers could explore the different potentials of their ideas by writing stories. This method of creative revising ameliorates the coherence and complexity of the design as a whole. This paper therefore proposes that the writing of stories is an effective way of revising ideas and one that could prove to be a valuable method that would enable designers to ensure the sustainable improvement of their works.
- Alexander, C. (1977). The timeless way of building. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Baecker, D. (2002). Einführung in die Systemtheorie. Frankfurt: Carl-Auer-Systeme Verlag. (English edition: D. Baecker (2013). Introduction to systems theory (P. Gilgen, Trans., p. 172). Cambridge: Polity Press).Google Scholar
- Bosch, T. (2012). Sci-Fi writer Bruce Sterling explains the intriguing new concept of design fiction. http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/03/02/bruce_sterling_on_design_fictions_.html
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1996). Creativity: Flow and the psychology of discovery and invention. New York: Harper Perennial.Google Scholar
- Ellis, J., & Hirabayashi, M. (2005). In dreams begins responsibility: An interview with Haruki Murakami. Tokyo: Japan UNI Agency.Google Scholar
- Heijden, K., Bradfield, R., Burt, G., Cairns, G., & Wright, G. (2002). The sixth sense accelerating organizational learning with scenarios. Chichester: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Iba, T. (2016). Future language for collaborative design. PUARL conference, USA.Google Scholar
- King, S. (2000). On writing: A memoir of the craft (p. 213). New York: Scribner.Google Scholar
- Luhmann, N. (1984). Soziale Systeme: Grundriß einer allgemeinen Theorie. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp. English edition: Luhmann, N. (1995). Social systems (J. Bednerz, & D. Baecker, Trans.). California: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Murakami, H., & Kawai, H. (2016). Haruki Murakami goes to meet Hayao Kawai. Einsiedeln: Daimon Verlag.Google Scholar
- Sterling, B. (2009). COVER STORY: Design fiction. Interactions, 16(3). https://doi.org/10.1145/2207676.2208279. New York: ACM.