An Application of Linear Algebra to Image Compression
Nowadays the data are transmitted in the form of images, graphics, audio and video. These types of data require a lot of storage capacity and transmission bandwidth. Consequently, the theory of data compression becomes more significant for reducing the data redundancy in order to save more transfer and storage of data. In this context, this paper addresses the problem of the lossy compression of images. This proposed method is based on Block SVD Power Method that overcomes the disadvantages of Matlab’s SVD function. The quantitative and visual results are showing the superiority of the proposed compression method over those of Matlab’s SVD function and some different compression techniques in the state-of-the-art. In addition, the proposed approach is simple and can provide different degrees of error resilience, which gives, in a short execution time, a better image compression.
KeywordsImage compression Singular value decomposition Block SVD Power Method Lossy image compression PSNR
The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their insightful comments in improving the quality of this paper.
- 1.Weinberger, M.J., Seroussi, G., Sapiro, G.: The LOCO-I lossless image compression algorithm: principles and standardization into JPEG-LS. IEEE Trans. Image Process. 2, 1309–1324 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Madhuri, A.J.: Digital Image Processing. An Algorithmic Approach, pp. 175–217. PHI, New Delhi (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Alkhalayleh, M.A., Otair, A.M.: A new lossless method of image compression by decomposing the tree of Huffman technique. Int. J. Imaging Robot. 15(2), 79–96 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Jianji, W., Nanning, Z., Yuehu, L., Gang, Z.: Parameter analysis of fractal image compression and its applications in image sharpening and smoothing. Signal Process. Image Commun. 28, 681–687 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Anjali, K., Renu, D.: Image compression using fast 2-D DCT technique. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Eng. (IJCSE) 3(6), 2415–2419 (2011). ISSN: 0975-3397Google Scholar
- 8.Adiwijaya, M., Dewi, B.K., Yulianto, F.A., Purnama, B.: Digital image compression using graph coloring quantization based on wavelet SVD. J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 423(1), 012019 (2013). IOP PublishingGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ranade, A., Mahabalarao, S.S., Kale, S.: A variation on SVD based image compression. Image Vis. Comput. 25(6), 771–777 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Doaa, M., Chadi, A.F.: Image compression using block truncation coding. Cyber J. Multidiscip. J. Sci. Technol. J. Sel. Areas Telecommun. (JSAT), February (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Tsou, C.C., Wu, S.H., Hu, Y.C.: Fast pixel grouping technique for block truncation coding. In: Workshop on Consumer Electronics and Signal Processing (WCEsp05), Yunlin, 17–18 Nov (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.El Abbadi, N.K., Al Rammahi, A., Redha, D.S., Abdul-Hameed, M.: Image compression based on SVD and MPQ-BTC. J. Comput. Sci. 10(10), 2095–2104 (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.El Asnaoui, K., Chawki, Y.: Two new methods for image compression. Int. J. Imaging Robot. 15(4), 1–11 (2015)Google Scholar