Geras and Postmodernism 1: Laclau and Mouffe
This chapter commends Geras’s critique of Laclau and Mouffe’s book Hegemony and Social Strategy. Cowling starts by pointing out that Geras is one of a number of critics of postmodernism, and gives a brief account of some of the main features of postmodernism, and some of the lines of criticism that have been developed. Geras subjects Laclau and Mouffe to a forensic dissection, which Cowling argues is superior to the critique by Ellen Meiksins Wood. Cowling supports Geras’s attempt to vindicate the idea of relative autonomy. He agrees with Geras’s reply to Laclau and Mouffe’s riposte to him, but argues that, though his accusations that they are idealist are valid, he could benefit from greater philosophical sophistication, and the issue is discussed in more depth in Chap. 9.
- Boghossian, P. (2007). Fear of Knowledge: Against Relativism and Constructivism. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Callinicos, A. (1989). Against Postmodernism: A Marxist Critique. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Cowling, M. (2014, January). Manuel Castells and Historical Materialism. Open Journal of Political Science (online), 4(1). Retrieved from http://www.scirp.org/Journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=41399.
- Dahl, R. (2005). Who Governs?: Democracy and Power in an American City, Second Edition (Yale Studies in Political Science): Democracy and Power in the American City. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Dahl, R. (1977). Polyarchy: Participation and Opposition. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Dews, P. (1987). Logics of Disintegration: Post-Structuralist Thought and the Claims of Critical Theory. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Eagleton, T. (1996). The Illusions of Postmodernism. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.Google Scholar
- Geras, N. (1987, May, June). Post-Marxism. New Left Review, 163.Google Scholar
- Geras, N. (1990). Discourses of Extremity: Radical Ethics and Post-Marxist Extravagances. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Laclau, E., & Mouffe, C. (1985). Hegemony and Social Strategy: Towards a Radical Democratic Politics. London: Verso. (1985 is the Date of Original Publication; References Will be Made to the Kindle Second Edition, 2014).Google Scholar
- Laclau, E., & Mouffe, C. (1987, November, December). Post-Marxism Without Apologies. New Left Review, 166.Google Scholar
- Meiksins Wood, E. (1998). The Retreat from Class: A New True Socialism (2nd ed.). London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Sokal, A., & Bricmont, J. (1999). Intellectual Impostures. London: Profile Books.Google Scholar