A Finger-vein Biometric System Based on Textural Features
Biometric systems are being widely used today for automated authentication purposes. In particular, vascular biometrics or vein recognition is receiving a large amount of attention because of its several advantages related to security and convenience. However, images containing vein patterns normally include more information than just those structural arrangements. Thus, we propose a finger-vein biometric system based exclusively on textural features to evaluate the usefulness of the remaining information around vein patters. Textural features are obtained through gray-level co-occurrence matrices from the wavelet detail coefficients belonging to finger-vein images. The evaluation of the proposed biometric system is based on a standardized finger-vein database and its results show favorable improvements on the finger-vein authentication accuracy when textural features are incorporated in the biometric process.
KeywordsFinger-vein biometry Digital image processing Machine learning algorithms
This work was partially supported by the Universidad de las Fuerzas Armadas ESPE under Research Grant 2015-PIC-004.
- 1.Kaur, G., Singh, G., Kumar, V.: A review on biometric recognition. Int. J. BioSci. BioTechnol. 6, 69–76 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Wang, P., Sun, D.: A research on palm vein recognition. In: 2016 IEEE 13th International Conference on Signal Processing (ICSP), pp. 1347–1351. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Syazana-Itqan, K., Syafeeza, A., Saad, N., Hamid, N.A., Saad, W.H.B.M.: A review of finger-vein biometrics identification approaches. Indian J. Sci. Technol, 9 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, L., Yang, G., Yin, Y., Xi, X.: Finger vein recognition with anatomy structure analysis. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Bansal, K., Kaur, S.: Finger vein recognition using minutiae extraction and curve analysis. Int. J. Sci. Res. 4, 2402–2405 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Modi, S.K.: Biometrics in identity management: concepts to applications. Artech House, Massachusetts (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Chen, C.H.: Handbook of pattern recognition and computer vision. World Scientific, New Jersey (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Marsland, S.: Machine learning: an algorithmic perspective. CRC Press, Florida (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Trabelsi, R.B., Masmoudi, A.D., Masmoudi, D.S.: A new multimodal biometric system based on finger vein and hand vein recognition. Int. J. Eng. Technol. 4, 3175 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Lu, Y., Yoon, S., Park, D.S.: Finger vein recognition based on matching score-level fusion of Gabor features. J. Korean Inst. Commun. Inf. Sci. 38, 174–182 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Lu, Y., Xie, S.J., Yoon, S., Park, D.S.: Finger vein identification using polydirectional local line binary pattern. In: 2013 International Conference on ICT Convergence (ICTC), pp. 61–65. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar