A Virtual Channel Allocation Algorithm for NoC
Virtual channel (VC) flow control proves to be an alternative way to promote network performance, but uniform VC allocation in the network may be at the cost of chip area and power consumption. We propose a novel VC number allocation algorithm customizing the VCs in network based on the characteristic of the target application. Given the characteristic of target application and total VC number budget, the block probability for each port of nodes in the network can be obtained with an analytical model. Then VCs are added to the port with the highest block probability one by one. The simulation results indicate that the proposed algorithm reduces buffer consumption by 14.58%–51.04% under diverse traffic patterns and VC depth, while keeping similar network performance.
KeywordsVC allocation Block probability Network-on-chip
This work has been supported by the Research Funds of Education Department of Heilongjiang Province, Grant No. 12531518.
- 2.Dally, W.J., Towles, B.: Route packets, not wires: on-chip interconnection networks. In: The 38th Design Automation Conference, pp. 684–689 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Benini, L., De Micheli, G.: Networks on chips: a new SoC paradigm. IEEE Trans. Comput. 35(1), 70–78 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Guerrier, P., Greiner, A.: A generic architecture for on-chip packet-switched interconnections. In: Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE 2000), pp. 250–256 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, J., Nicopoulos, C., Park, D., et al.: A gracefully degrading and energy-efficient modular router architecture for on-chip networks. In: The 33rd International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA 2006), pp. 4–15 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Hu, J., Marculescu, R.: Application-specific buffer space allocation for networks-on-chip router design. In: The IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer Aided Design (ICCAD), pp. 354–361 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Nicopoulos, C.A., Park, D., Kim, J., et al.: VichaR: a dynamic virtual channel regulator for network-on-chip routers. In: The 39th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture, pp. 333–344 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Chen, X., Peh, L.-S.: Leakage power modeling and optimization in interconnection networks. In: The International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design, pp. 90–95 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Matsutani, H., Koibuchi, M., Wang, D., Amano, H.: Run-time power gating of on-chip routers using look-ahead routing. In: Design Automation Conference (ASPDAC), pp. 55–60 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Matsutani, H., Koibuchi, M., Wang, D., Amano, H.: Adding slow-slient virtual channels for low-power on-chip networks. In: The 2nd IEEE International Symposium on Networks-On-Chip, pp. 23–32 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Ni, N., Pirvu, M., Bhuyan, L.: Circular buffered switch design with wormhole routing and virtual channels. In: Computer Design: VLSI in Computers and Processors, pp. 466–473 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Huang, T., Ogras, U.Y., Marculescu, R.: Virtual channels planning for networks-on-chip. In: Proceedings of the 8th International on Quality Electronic Design (ISQED), pp. 879–884 (2007)Google Scholar