Economics and Health Policy
In the United States, major financing for the healthcare for older adults comes from Medicare and Medicaid programs. Recent healthcare policies and legislations appear to have a major impact on the financing of healthcare for the elderly. In this chapter we review important aspects of Medicare and Medicaid and also recent policies and legislation that clinicians caring for older adults with psychiatric disorders should be aware of so that they can provide better care for their clients.
KeywordsMedicare Medicaid Affordable Care Act Twenty-first Century Cures Act CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015
- 1.Aging statistics. https://aoa.acl.gov/Aging_Statistics/index.aspx. Accessed 14 Jun 2017.
- 3.http://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Agency-Information/History/index.html?redirect=/history/. Accessed 14 Jun 2017.
- 6.https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare.html. Accessed 18 Jun 2017.
- 8.https://www.medicaid.gov/. Accessed 18 Jun2017.
- 9.https://aspe.hhs.gov/2011-hhs-poverty-guidelines. Accessed 23 Jun 2017.
- 10.https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/ssi.html. Accessed 23 Jun 2017.
- 11.Medicaid and CHIP in the context of the APA. https://www.macpac.gov/subtopic/overview-of-the-affordable-care-act-and-medicaid. Accessed 25 Jun 2017.
- 12.https://www.medicaid.gov/affordable-care-act/index.html. Accessed 25 Jun 2017.
- 14.http://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/summary-of-key-changes-to-medicare-in/. Accessed 26 Jun 2017.
- 15.https://www.medicare.gov/about-us/affordable-care-act/affordable-care-act.html. Accessed 26 Jun 2017.
- 16.Affordable care act provisions relating to the care of dually eligible medicare and medicaid beneficiaries. http://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/affordable-care-act-provisions-relating-to-the/. Accessed June 25, 2017.
- 17.Mental health reform provisions in H.R. 34, the 21st Century Cures Act. American Psychiatric Association. https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/advocacy/federal-affairs/comprehensive-mental-health-reform. Accessed 26 Jun 2017.