Clinical Laboratory Testing
The geriatric mental health provider needs to have a solid foundation for understanding the role of ancillary laboratory and other diagnostic assessment tools when evaluating and managing older adults with behavioral or psychiatric problems. This section will provide an overview of common uses of laboratory investigation and electrocardiogram as components of the diagnostic geropsychiatric assessment and for ongoing management of psychiatric disorders in later life.
KeywordsLaboratory investigation Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- 3.Smith FA, Hogan C. Laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures. In: Stern TA, Fava M, Wilens TE, Rosenbaum JF, editors. Massachusetts general hospital comprehensive clinical psychiatry. 2nd ed. London, UK: Elsevier; 2016. p. 20–38.Google Scholar
- 4.Tampi RR. Laboratory investigations. In: Tampi RR, Williamson D, editors. Fundamentals of geriatric psychiatry. New York, NY: Nova Science Publishers; 2013. p. 15–25.Google Scholar
- 8.American Diabetes Association, American Psychiatric Association, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, North American Association for the Study of Obesity. Consensus development conference on antipsychotic drugs and obesity and diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2004;27:596–601. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.2.596.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/#h8. Accessed 5 Sep 2017.
- 16.Wilkins CH, Sheline YI, Roe CM, et al. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with low mood and worse cognitive performance in older adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006;14:1032–40. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JGP.0000240986.74642.7c.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.https://www.clozapinerems.com/CpmgClozapineUI/rems/pdf/resources/ANC_Table.pdf. Accessed 5 Sep 2017.
- 18.https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-of-polyuria-and-diabetes-insipidus. Accessed 5 Sep 2017.
- 20.Shah AA, Aftab A, Coverdale J. QTc prolongation with antipsychotics: is routine ecg monitoring recommended? J Psychiatr Pract. 2014;20:196–206. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.pra.0000450319.21859.6d.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm297391.htm. Accessed 5 Sep 2017.