Promoting Sustainability Through Agro-industrial Waste Valorisation
Adaptation to climate change and sustainability encompasses several strategies as the agronomic by-products valorisation, transforming waste into resources, contributing to a most efficient use of land and resources and, simultaneously, to circular economy. This work aimed to study the effect of the rice husk (RH) incorporation on substrates in petunia, Petunia x hybrid, yield. The bioassay was carried out in 13 cm in diameter pots, randomly arranged, under greenhouse conditions, for 10 weeks. Four treatments were studied: (1) control, substrate without RH; (2) substrate with 10% RH; (3) substrate with 25% RH; and (4) substrate with 50% RH. There were four replicates, each consisting of five plants. Number of flower buds, aerial part diameter and length were evaluated weekly. At the end of the bioassay, aerial part and root weights, and substrate water retention capacity were evaluated. Results were submitted to One-Way ANOVA followed by the Tukey test, when significant differences were present. The obtained results suggest that the incorporation of a low-cost by-product of the rice processing industry—RH in soils with low drainage capacity may be a recommended practice promoting simultaneously the increase of crop production and the use of a low cost and widely available bio-waste, contributing this way to the circular economy premises, reducing wastes and targeting as well a more adapted agro-industry to a changing climate.
KeywordsCircular economy Climate change Rice husk Petunia x hybrid Sustainable agriculture
- Aguiar, C. (2014). Arquitetura de Plantas. Bragança: Instituto Politécnico de Bragança, Escola Superior Agrária.Google Scholar
- Bellé, S., & Kãmpf, A. N. (1994). Utilização de casca de arroz carbonizada como condicionador hortícola para uso orgânico. Pesquisa Agropecuária Brasileira, 29(8), 1265–1271.Google Scholar
- Costa, A. R. (2012). Vida rural. http://www.vidarural.pt/atlantic-meals-quer-valorizar-casca-do-arroz-portugues/. Accessed Feb 2016.
- EC. (2016). Circular economy: New regulation to boost the use of organic and waste based fertilisers. Press release. European Commission, Bruxel. Available at http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16–826_en.htm.
- FAOSTAT. (2016). Food and Agriculture Organisation of United Nations. http://faostat3.fao.org/download/Q/QI/E. Accessed Jan 2016.
- FiBL. (2000). Organic farming enhances soil fertility and biodiversity. FiBL Dossier No 1. https://shop.fibl.org/CHen/1090-doc.html?ref=1. Accessed Feb 2016.
- Ghini, R., & Bettiol, W. (2000). Proteção de plantas na agricultura sustentável. Cadernos de Ciência & Tecnologia, 17(1), 61–70.Google Scholar
- IFOAM. (2005). International federation of organic agriculture movements. Principles of organic agriculture—Preamble. http://www.ifoam.bio/en/organic-landmarks/principles-organic-agriculture. Accessed Feb 2016.
- Kumar, A., Mohanta, K., Kumar, D., & Parkash, O. (2012). Properties and industrial applications of rice husk: A review. Internacional Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, 2(10), 86–90.Google Scholar
- Mistry, B. (2016). Properties and industrial applications of rice husk. International Journal of Engineering Science, 6(10), 2677–2679.Google Scholar
- Rajor, A., Xaxa, M., Mehta, R., & Kunal. (2011). Use of rice husk ash fertilizer amendment to soil and its effect on crop germination. In National Conference on emerging trends in chemistry-biology interface. India, p. 34.Google Scholar
- Reddy, D., & Alvarez, M. (2006). Marine durability characteristics of rice husk ash-modified reinforced concrete. In Fourth LACCEI International Latin American and Caribbean Conference for Engineering and Technology (LACCET’2006). Breaking Frontiers and Barriers in Engineering: Education, Research and Practice. June 2006, Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.Google Scholar
- Steffen, G. P., Antoniolli, Z. I., Steffen, R. B., & Mchado, R. G. (2010). Cáscara de arroz y estiércol bovino como sustratos para la multiplicación de lombrices de tierra y la producción de plántulas de tomate y lechuga. Acta zoológica mexicana, 26(SPE. 2), 333–343.Google Scholar
- UN. (2015). Transforming our world: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable. United Nations General Assembly resolution A/RES/70/1.Google Scholar