Employing Healthcare Transition Planning Tools
This chapter describes steps taken to introduce and promote the use of an electronic medical record-based transition planning tool (TPT) at a large children’s hospital as a method to improve AYASHCN knowledge and skills to facilitate successful HCT. A description of the Texas Children’s Hospital TPT is presented first, followed by quality improvement methods used to promote its use, summary data on TPT use, and then four vignettes of clinics that piloted the process of implementing the TPT as part of a quality improvement study, before the TPT became available system-wide.
KeywordsTransition readiness Chronic illness Adolescents and young adults Transition planning tool Medical record
- 1.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, HRSA, Maternal and Child Health Bureau. National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs Chart book 2009–2010. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. p. 2013.Google Scholar
- 4.Peters A, Laffel L. Diabetes care for emerging adults: recommendations for transition from pediatric to adult diabetes care systems: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association, with representation by the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Osteopathic Association, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Children with Diabetes, The Endocrine Society, the International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International, the National Diabetes Education Program, and the Pediatric Endocrine Society (formerly Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society). Diabetes Care. 2011;34(11):2477–85. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-1723.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Magrab P, Millar H, Jekyll IG. Surgeon General’s conference. Growing up and getting medical care: youth with special health care needs. Washington, DC: National Center for Networking Community Based Services, Georgetown University Child Development Center; 1989.Google Scholar
- 15.Deming WE. The new economics for industry, education, government. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press; 1994.Google Scholar
- 16.Wiemann CM, Hergenroeder AC, Bartley KA, Sanchez-Fournier BE, Hilliard ME, Warren LJ, Graham SC. Integrating an EMR-based Transition Planning Tool for CYSHCN at a Children’s Hospital: a quality improvement project to increase provider use and satisfaction. J Pediatr Nurs. 2015;30(5):776–87.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar